• Register Today It's free!

starting the exhaust this week..

02EBEX

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer V6 4x4
I looking into putting a little bit bigger pipes on the X this week.. Im not to sure how big to go though.. I have the 4.0, should i go with 2.5" or 3". Im leaning more towards the 2.5". I already have the FM 50 series, so im just gonna order some pipes to go from the y-pipe out.
Now my main concern is the 3rd cat or resonator, whatever its called, can I get ride of that or what??? Anyone that has messed with their exhaust could you chime in and give me some advice on what would be the best for my X. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i got 2 1/2 inch tips on my 01 sport i got single in and dual out 40 series flows

x2 3" is toooooo much for that engine, i have taken the 3rd cat/resonator off it doesnt throw a code seeing how there is no o2 senors in front or behind it, its purpose is to quiet the noise i believe. Taking it off doesnt make it loud i have a FM40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUSEXCKJQdQ
this is mine with a flowmaster 40 and no resonator

a v6 will never sound like a v8 just not enough cylinders! Every v6 i have heard gets a ricey sound eventually, mine gets buzzing at about 3,000 rpm

What size is the original pipe that comes factory on all 3rd gens? Is it 1.5"?

2.25"

Flowmaster 40 is the way to go, i love mine. Realy deep rich sound

im runnin 2.5 inch exhaust a flowmaster 40 on a 4.0 and i deleted the resonator thing, no problems and it sounds good

The easiest solution is just bolting in the 2.5" Magnaflow catback.

The easiest solution is just bolting in the 2.5" Magnaflow catback.

Dont get me wrong, I love my Magnaflow catback. Only prob is it doesnt eliminate that rediculous resonator. I would really like to see the differance without it.

well i running the FM 50 series so that will do for now. Loud enough, and its not annoying inside the truck. So 2.5" is all Im gonna do. Now I was thinking or doing a 3" slanted tip coming out the side of the trucks, plus its one less bend. What do ya'll think of that idea.
Reason Im even opening up the exhaust is to see if it will help out my gas. Will it???

Dont get me wrong, I love my Magnaflow catback. Only prob is it doesnt eliminate that rediculous resonator. I would really like to see the differance without it.

No catback eliminates the third cat. You can easily get that done at an exhaust shop, and probably make most of your money back on scrapping the catalytic.

Back