• Register Today It's free!

starts then stalls out

Tommylee1282

Reaction score
City, State
Manville, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford explorer xlt
went out to warm up my 99 sohc 140k mi this morning before work, it took longer to start up then normal didnt' think anything of it, ran back inside to grab my lunch, came back out and it wasnt running. i started it again started up a little rough then died about 15 seconds later, tried to turn it over again and it wouldnt start at all. i was running late for work so i just grabbed my wifes bonneville and drove that to work...when i got home from work, it started right up ran for about a minute then died, started it up again and it ran for 15 seconds then died then wouldnt start at all.i hooked up the jumper cables and just let it charge up for 5 minutes, started right up, i left the cables on and it stalled out again with them on the usual after about a minute then one more start and stall then no start at all all i had to time to check was the battery voltage 12.37 off and 14.20 on before it got to dark, but im guessing i couldve ruled out the battery and alternator with it starting up when left alone for an hour or so. it had the check engine light come on about 6 months ago for a gross evap leak, the autozone guy reset it and it never came back, never had any issues with the car running. The hose from the filler neck to the gas tank has been a little chewed through by the hose clamp on there to the point gas will dribble onto the ground if i try to go past 3/4 of a tank. i figured this was the source of the check engine and it wouldnt' be an issue.

so i was just seeing if anyone had any pointers for this situation,does the fact that it starts up and runs for about a minute mean i can rule out the fuel pump?...my next move was going to be to remove the serpentine belt and see if it runs any differently with it off. if it still stalls out im guessing i have some kind of fuel pressure issue. obviously ill check if i hear the fuel pump coming on, then i guess grab a fuel gauge from harbor freight and test the pressure at the fuel rail and at the fuel filter. any advice on how to check the fuel pressure regulator? and where it is on a 99 sohc. thanks in advance, ill be adding a video of it starting and dying tomorrow morning

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2000 Explorer XLT 4.0L. 230K miles. My car has been stalling off/on over the last 3 or 4 months. It almost always does it when the engine is not fully warmed up, and when I am decelerating (foot off the gas). It seems when I first take foot off gas, the engine idle drops way low, then stalls. I have stopped that at times by shifting into Neutral and coasting to the stop light. However, the "Check Engine" light almost never comes on. When it has, the codes have been P0171 and/or P0174 (Lean Air Banks 1 & 2). Most of the time no Check Engine. To restart the engine, I have set for a minute or more and then restarted the car. Usually it will restart on the first attempt, but sometimes it has taken several minutes and several tries. Then I"ll drive off as if nothing was wrong. I'm thinking a loose connection somewhere? Bad TPS? My local corner auto mechs are guessing bad G.E.M. module, but I'm not so sure after reading these posts. Any ideas folks? Thanx.

took the serpentine belt off today and it still started up and died in about 10 seconds. im really thinking its a fuel pressure issue...i tried to access the evap canister over the spare but one of the bolts was rusted and stripped so have to wait for the pb blaster to kick in. i followed the lines of it to another black box thing over the rear diff, not sure what this is, it has a hose coming in from the evap canister and nothing on the other side. heres a video of it starting up then dying
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go3NY_LQT7o
and here's a video of my throttle cable and the plastic thing next to it(cruise control?), not sure if its supposed to be as loose as it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCnL5Dzi-f4

Will it stay running if you press the gas pedal and raise the RPM's?

I'm guessing your fuel pump is on the way out. Best to get a fuel pressure tester and check it when it won't start.

Back