stealth box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stealth box

P

PeteT

I have been looking into getting a stealth box. I was quoted $440 for the box, $220 for the amp, and installation $40 for an "out the door" total of $700.

Is this a decent price? Is the box really worth it? If any of you have experience with this product and will share your costs with me, I would really appreciate it.

PeteT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on which brand stealth box you have:
JL - $525
MTX- $320
RF - $399
These are all retail prices, so if its the JL box that a good price. to installs everthing $40 is a great price. Which amp is that?

T-Man Dead Link Removed

Don't forget to make sure they are adding in the price of the amp wiring kit and the RCAs. Many places will forget to add this in. A kit for the amp wiring will cost anywhere from 25 to 50 dollars depending, and RCA's will greatly vary in price too. I believe someone else also said that MTX now makes a powered stealhbox that is fairly reasonable too, so the amp is built in (one less thing needed to find a place for). I think Godfather posted it, take a look for it, something about MTX cheaper than JL.

Jon

I had every thing put in for the cost of $900.00 this is a little more expensive but, I put it on layaway and paid it off over several months... I had a Jl box installed and a orion 260 watt amp put in every thing turned out perfect and I feel was well worth the money...

Also you can see how the system in My 92 Navajo Lx looks on my website...

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

The box is JL, and the amp is Precision Power. How about the sound of yours Kris? You said that you feel it was well worth it? Has anyone put in the remote switch to turn the stealth box on and off? If so, when would you leave it off?

I love the sound of the sub it is perfect and I if I would install a switch I would never turn it off, But on heaver bass music I turn down the bass a notch or two so it does not drowned out the highs... I have a friend with the same body style and year of Mine and he wants to ditch his 2 12"s and get the slealth box... He is tring to get enought for the rockford stealth box.

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--

Pete, it is my understanding that all "remote" mounted amps have a "turn on" wire or connection. This is provided so the amp comes on when the stereo comes on, and then off when the stereo turns off. Not to just radomly turn the amp on and off. You'll be amazed at the better sound from a nicely powered sub!

I have a Clarion Head Unit, Phoenix Gold 12" sub in a single enclosed box in the rear, and a medium Phoenix Gold Comp. Amp. It rocks! With the way that the Explorer's are built, the airspace inside the cab is optimum for stereo sound. Dont try and make a big deal about how many speakers you add or amps. Your Explorer will do the trick with just a few simple audio mods.

Jordan

I have a 97 Explorer Sport and have installed the the stealth box in my truck.
The box is the Q-logic stealth box with a 10" Kicker Solo-Baric and a 265 watt(RMS) Orion amp pushing it alone. The total cost for the system was $550(including all the wiring needed but installed by myself)
Hope this reply isn't too late.

Jate

Jate,

What orion amp did you use and where did you mount it...

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--

Kris,

I used an Orion Cobalt Series amp. It is mounted under the front passenger seat.

Jate

Jate,
I think Crutchfield used to say something about having to mod the Q-logic Stealthbox a tiny bit to fit the Solobaric in there. Was there much work really involved? How much extra diameter needed to be cut out?
Thanks,
Jon

JTang,

I can't answer that question for you because when I went to pick up the Q-Logic box, the Kicker Solo-Baric was already installed in the box for me. Since I knew the owner of the store, he set everything up for me.

Jate

I used the cobalt amp too. But I mounted it under the back seat there was a big peice of plastic under the seat and I removed that to mount the amp. The Amp I used was the CO265XP it turn out nice. I am looking for other amp mounting ideas for when I install a stealth box in my friend Explorer EB 2-dr. Just in case I can not find another Cobalt amp for his...

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--

I was wondering... Out of all the different stealth boxes out there(JL, RF, MTX (powered/nonpowered), Q-Logic), which one sounds the best? Which one gives you the best "bang" for your buck?

Also, I have a RF200a4 running (4) Alpine STS5726's and was planning on getting a RF150a2 or RF250a2 to run a stealth box. Where would be a good place to "hide" two amps? Someone posted they installed amps in the rear seats, but I couldn't e-mail him as for the details. Any ideas are welcome.

I don't know about which sounds the best.. but I just installed my MTX thunderform and I would have to say that the MTX is the best bang for the buck. I paid $265 for my MTX thunderform with an MTX 5000 10" sub. I spent 3 weeks checking all the different types of boxes including a a fiberglass no name one. Just about every box is the same size.. .65cu and the MTX seemed to have the best stats. Most of the other speakers were decent but the mtx has almost 1/3" of throw..
btw.. I got the thunderform from a local shop.. It was cheaper than going through crutchfield.

Mark
mark@legendz.com http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures, and Movies

How is the installation of the stealth box. I read the the Fosgate stealthbox requires drilling. Do all the other brands require drilling?

The only drilling I had to do was between the L bracket and the body of the truck. When I had to put the bracket to the box I didn't even use a drill. I just pushed the screw with a screwdriver into the box (its molded plastic). I use the MTX thunderform and not the Rockford one. I have the instructions for the rockford one and it does show you drilling the box (for the speaker wire cup).

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

okay guys...this stealth box seems like a really good idea to keep the back opened up...but how good does it actually sound. I am curious because i am getting ready to buy some woofers...please let me know!!

Back