Steeda vs Bilstein shocks and struts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steeda vs Bilstein shocks and struts

KROTOS1970

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, EXPLORER XLT FWD NA
Which one to get, I have Steeda Sway bar installed have H&R springs not installed yet but will do, which shocks and struts should I get?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which one to get, I have Steeda Sway bar installed have H&R springs not installed yet but will do, which shocks and struts should I get?

I'm on the same boat and want to know as well. Do you think Bilstein is better the OEM?

I'm on the same boat and want to know as well. Do you think Bilstein is better the OEM?

Bilstein makes a B4, which is comparable to the oem stuff, and a B6, which is considered high performance. If you are replacing the springs, get the B6. The only problem is that they've been on backorder since last August.

Also, Steeda doesn't sell their own shocks and struts, they're Bilsteins.

Bilstein makes a B4, which is comparable to the oem stuff, and a B6, which is considered high performance. If you are replacing the springs, get the B6. The only problem is that they've been on backorder since last August.

Also, Steeda doesn't sell their own shocks and struts, they're Bilsteins.

Man, tell me about it. I ordered my Bilstein B6's last November and got the rear shocks and ONE front strut...the other front strut is on BO until July (as of last week). Sucks cuz I got 3 of the 4 parts and they are collecting dust in the garage, LOL.

Man, tell me about it. I ordered my Bilstein B6's last November and got the rear shocks and ONE front strut...the other front strut is on BO until July (as of last week). Sucks cuz I got 3 of the 4 parts and they are collecting dust in the garage, LOL.

I've had them on order since August, and the fulfillment date keeps getting pushed back :mad:

Call me crazy, but the strut tube itself should be the same for left vs right. The only difference should be the mounting bracket, right? Knowing that, I can't see why those fools don't fill the backorders.

I've had them on order since August, and the fulfillment date keeps getting pushed back :mad:

Call me crazy, but the strut tube itself should be the same for left vs right. The only difference should be the mounting bracket, right? Knowing that, I can't see why those fools don't fill the backorders.
Since August? Man, that is a long ass time. Do you have any of the shocks? I ordered mine through Summit and they sent parts as they came in...just waiting on front left strut now.

But yeah, I don't understand why this is taking so long...I'm half worried we'll get a notice that they are discontinued for some reason then I'm stuck with half the parts...

Since August? Man, that is a long ass time. Do you have any of the shocks? I ordered mine through Summit and they sent parts as they came in...just waiting on front left strut now.

But yeah, I don't understand why this is taking so long...I'm half worried we'll get a notice that they are discontinued for some reason then I'm stuck with half the parts...

No, I haven't gotten anything yet. The other 3 seem readily available, so my friend's shop hasn't ordered them yet.

There is a coilover kit available now, so that's another option should Bilstein screw us.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Anyone have any luck finding the front right B6?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't think find it is a problem as there several companies that come up with an Internet search. The problem seems to be actually getting it.;)
Stay safe.

Peter

My friend who's ordering me the parts called Bilstein, they told him June now.

Hi, I’m new here. Just following this thread on the Bilstein shocks versus OEM vs Steeda. After researching the brands, I decided to buy the B6. I spoke to a Steeda rep who explained that the Bilstein are much better than stock in terms of quality and handling. However, he further explained that all Bilstein products are German-made and that they are on back order due to the international trade issues with Europe. Don’t kill the messenger; just passing along some information.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Thanks. Also, just tried getting the Ford OEM nuts and bolts to put the Steeda suspension parts on. According to Ford service representative, there is a recall for some Ford Explorers due to toe links. I’d recommend that people check with their dealership or Ford recall notices with the last eight digits of their VIN. Trying to find the nut (HN2) is difficult to obtain right now. * See Ford part 5A972 with the “call out” for the necessary bolts HB2 & HB3 bolts and HN2 nuts.

Thanks. Also, just tried getting the Ford OEM nuts and bolts to put the Steeda suspension parts on. According to Ford service representative, there is a recall for some Ford Explorers due to toe links. I’d recommend that people check with their dealership or Ford recall notices with the last eight digits of their VIN.............................................
FYI; Rear Toe Link Recall

Peter

@38B4FM63O Yup all over that info as far as being German Made, very familiar with Bilstein products. As for the toe link recall, its for the toe-link itself, not the bolts. That being said, these bolts are, technically, designed for one time use only. Factory Service Manual says to trash em and use new ones every time they come off. How often that actually happens in the real world outside of the dealership? Not really sure about that...

iKel_QN4jeWmjxQ?width=517&height=563&cropmode=none.jpg

Holy crap!!!! I got my last strut in today!!!! It only took 7 months!!!! Haha...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine came in today too. 10 months of waiting was ridiculous

Back