Steer to the Left or right and wont come back | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steer to the Left or right and wont come back

Reaction score
City, State
Howard City, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer SUV 4X4
94 Exp 4x4 SUV. Noticed the power steering pump was a little low so we added some to it. Turned it left and right. Took it down the road because hubby said it was steering funny. I turned the wheel to the left and let go of the steering wheel and it kept on going to the left, I had to pull it back in line, same thing on the right side. Noticed a leak on the ground the other day also. I think it might be leaking too. The steering feels a little tight.

Terrie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think ur pump or box may be shot....wait for other replies and ull crack the problem....

If it's red-tinted fluid leaking from the front, it's probably the ATF from the power steering. Keep tabs on the fluid level, and if it keeps dropping, theres a leak in the reservior or pump. Unless it's just a leak from the tank, it would probably be worth it (in terms of safety and/or hassle with pinpointing the exact pump issue) just to go ahead and replace the whole pump assembly to get the smooth power steering back.

Be sure to check the steering linkages under the truck too, they need to be lubed with a grease gun to keep the steering smooth as well.

The pump is still holding the fluid but the steering is the same right or left. You turn to the left and let go of the steering wheel and it keeps on going that way same thing going to the right. It pulls one way or another while going straight. You have to fight to keep it straight. Also we jacked it up and when you grab the top and bottom of the left wheel there is some play and also moving it right and left. But that steering not straightening out like its suppose to is scary.

The wheel play is likely due to the wheel bearing adjustment being too loose. Tighten up the wheel bearings to spec and the wheels shouldn't have any wobble. Check the linkages for proper lubrication, and be sure theres no signs of binding. If the rest of the steering is ok and the pump is holding fluid, the pump itself might not be working.

When the wheels are no longer centering themselves it can be an idication of bad castor/camber - get the alignment checked

i've been doing some searching because I have the exact same problem. From what I'm gathering its the u joints in the front end.

When I turn left and try to go straight again the wheel just stays left so then your driving down the straight road holding your wheel turned to the right to keep the truck straight since it still wants to go left.. And vice versa when turning a right corner.

My power steering fluid is fine. I don't belive the pump is not working because its not like i'm at lack of the power steering when turning. Its not hard to turn what so ever. Which I believe is the same issue this gentleman is having.

I'd like to see someone chime in if for sure it is the u joints

sorry to revive an old thread... but im having the same issue. My steering does not rebound. I think Im going to have the alignment checked just because I had new tires put on and I would like to keep then for their intended life.
But I was wondering if there was any resolve to this issue, or has anyone else had this happen to them?

Not having positive caster can cause this or the mesh setting on the steering gear is to tight. Or there is a mechanical problem in the steering gear.

an update...
My problem seems to be the intermediate shaft. while poking around, i got a light under the hood and i found the tell tale broken boot. I shot it with some wd40 and took it for a drive to find the problem was resolved. so now to find a new (or non damaged) int shaft. besides the bone yards, does anyone sell one for less than 180?

When the wheels are no longer centering themselves it can be an idication of bad castor/camber - get the alignment checked

My alignment is off but my wheel will straighten back out just fine. Maybe it's just me :p:

Back