• Register Today It's free!

Steering/Alignment Issue

skidoofan

Reaction score
City, State
Brookings, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hello! Just had a tire shop check the alignment on my 96 X with 188,000 on it. I have the driver's side front tire that is in extremely bad shape which I'm sure is due to an alignment issue. I wanted to know if there were any other issues rather than an alignment before installing some new tires on it. I'm planning on selling it but wanted to install a set of Goodyear Wrangler's that Walmart has on sale for $62 per tire installed. The alignment guy tells me that he can align it as best as possible but that he thinks the rack and pinion is shot?? Lots of play in the steering wheel and shudders when turning left or right. Do you think that it's the rack and pinion or would it more than likely be the steering shaft that I've read about in several posts? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Don't want to stick a lot of cash in it but want to get it in shape to sell. Everything else seems to be in good shape on it.

Thanks!

Don't want to stick a lot of cash in it but want to get it in shape to sell. Everything else seems to be in good shape on it.

Thanks!

Throw a set of tires on it, have the alignment done and get it sold!

Back