steering box?

thewishkah

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
Ok so I have been having this problem for about 2 weeks it happens when ever I make a right turn, but not when I make a left turn. It feels as if there is no power steering fluid(loud whine and vibration in the steering wheel). I changed the fluid today cause it was looking kind of crappy. I used a syphon to get as much out as possible then I filled it with new fluid turned the wheel to mix it then syphoned that out .

I repeated this process 3 times till I was pretty happy with the color. But it still makes this vibration/sound on right turns and I cant figure out what it is. Any and all help is greatly apreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump, It has to go in for inspection soon so any help would be greatly apreciated. I dont want to get taken for something big if it turned out to be something small.

Sounds like something is clogged up in the steering box. Take it out and clean it or just splurge and get a new one.

Im under the impression there is alot of disassembly in getting the steering box out.What would it take?

thewishkah said:
Im under the impression there is alot of disassembly in getting the steering box out.What would it take?

Rent a pitman arm puller from AutoZone or the local shop. Take the nut off the pitman arm and use the puller to remove the arm from the gearbox. Remove the retaining bolt from the steering shaft. Remove the three bolts that hold the gearbox to the frame rail. Watch your head. :)

-Joe

Back