• Register Today It's free!

Steering Box

Chrisman889

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
Just wanted some info about tightening up my steering. There seems to be an adjustment on top of the steering box, but if I could only get to it. I may have to remove the AC compressor. Also wanting some info on how to adjust it. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is info on here for that.

Just use the search box at the top of the page.

It is possible to adjust without removing the compressor. It's just a pain in the butt. It is a little easier if you clean the adjuster up first, as most of these are covered in grease by now. Spraying some engine degreaser on and then washing it off will make it easier to adjust it, since you basically have to loosen the jam nut, then hold it steady while turning the adjuster, then hold the adjuster steady while tightening the jam nut. Like FR-425 said, do a search for more info.

I did a search for it ,maybe typed in the wrong thing. I would at least have to remove the serpentine belt.

There's not much to it really. Just loosen the jam nut, then screw the adjuster in or out as needed, then re-tighten the jam nut (similar to adjusting the trans bands). Screwing the adjuster inwards will tighten up the box. It's best to adjust a little at a time, like 1/8 or 1/4 turn, and go for a drive after each adjustment.

Every time I've done it, I had to make the adjustment a half dozen times (and a half dozen test drives) before I got it right. If you adjust too far you'll notice the steering effort can increase and you'll notice the wheel won't return to center on its own after a turn. Adjust it until you get it the way you like it, but if the wheel won't self-center it is too tight and can wear out the gearbox more quickly.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for all your help. Still struggling with my transmission as well.

Back