• Register Today It's free!

steering box

alaskan155

Reaction score
City, State
washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
4dr 94,97,01 eb,xlt,xls
well my 94 has 241k on it, and the steering box is getting old and sloppy and im to cheap for red head right now so my question has anyone swapped in a 97-03 f150 box, i see them a dime a dozen on car-parts for $40 a piece they have the 4 bolt box like the e99 superdutys and are 32 spline so i believe the stock pitman arm will work.... only difference i see is the input splines..

94 steering box specs
More Information for CARDONE 277516
Package Contents Gear, Instruction Sheet, Flushing Instruction, Instruction Tag
Color/Finish Black
Product Condition Remanufactured
Input Shaft Spline Count 29 + Flat & Groove
Number of Mounting Holes 3
Hose Port Type Seat
Total Turns Lock To Lock 4.0
Pressure Port Thread Size 1/2 x 20
Return Port Thread Size 5/8 X 18
Pump Rotation Reverse
Pitman Arm Included No
Input Shaft Type Splined, Single Flat
Steering Box Type Power Steering
Return Port ID Size 0
Pressure Port ID Size 0
Input Shaft Diameter (in) 0.73
Input Shaft Diameter (mm) 18.42
Output Shaft Diameter (mm) 33.32
Output Shaft Diameter (in) 1.31

1999 f150
More Information for CARDONE 276565
Package Contents Gear, Instruction Sheet (2), Flushing Instruction, Instruction Tag, Sealing Kit
Color/Finish Black
Product Condition Remanufactured
Input Shaft Spline Count 26 + 2 Flat & Groove
Number of Mounting Holes 3
Hose Port Type O-Ring
Total Turns Lock To Lock 3.3
Pressure Port Thread Size 1/2 x 20
Return Port Thread Size 5/8 X 18
Pump Rotation Standard
Pitman Arm Included No
Input Shaft Type Double Flat
Steering Box Type Power Steering
Return Port ID Size 0
Pressure Port ID Size 0
Input Shaft Diameter (in) 0.73
Input Shaft Diameter (mm) 18.42
Output Shaft Diameter (mm) 33.32
Output Shaft Diameter (in) 1.31

thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the input shafts are different, the lock to lock is different, the pump rotation is reversed
Even with these differences It might work but why? Trying to save money can sometimes cause headaches.

I don't think there were any real improvements in the box design until 2005

Reman box at Advance is around $120 if you use their 25% off coupon... I really don't see a reason not to use a stock replacement. They're pretty stout.

Late eighties to mid nineties Ford trucks all used the same steering box. Explorers, Rangers, Broncos, F150, and F250. Go pull one from a junkyard for cheap.

the input shafts are different, the lock to lock is different, the pump rotation is reversed
Even with these differences It might work but why? Trying to save money can sometimes cause headaches.

I don't think there were any real improvements in the box design until 2005

This is a Saginaw and 4 bolt lid which makes it tad stronger than the ford 2 bolt one, 05 boxes are even stronger than the 99-04 superduty but require a different pit man arm. i also know these boxes where used on the late 97 f350s obs trucks, also seen a few of the FS bronco guys swaping to the 4 bolt box from the e99 superduty
More Information for CARDONE 277565 99 specs) didn't catch the pump rotation, guess the super duties are a better match..

Reman box at Advance is around $120 if you use their 25% off coupon... I really don't see a reason not to use a stock replacement. They're pretty stout.
remans are hit or miss, its why i installed a redhead in my 02 f250.

Late eighties to mid nineties Ford trucks all used the same steering box. Explorers, Rangers, Broncos, F150, and F250. Go pull one from a junkyard for cheap.

i want to upgrade if i am going to replace it, most of those ones are getting old and high mileage,

I did an 02 superduty box in my rig. Had to open up the holes in the frame and build a custom pitman arm

red head for the win
The read head box is the only one that removes the factory flaw these steering gear boxes come with, new or reman they will develop slop over time. Not the red head! One of the best upgrades I ever did to my 88
My 97 F350 will also get a red head when the time comes.

Back