• Register Today It's free!

Steering causing popping sound

SpuuDy

Reaction score
City, State
Crystal city, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer limited 3.5
How's it going? We have had our 2015 explorer limited for 2 years now and have some issues with it.
  • The steering pops intermittently loudly. We will start the car up and start to turn one way or the other the steering pops as we turn the wheel. I cant get it to replicate this every time but I was able to feel this popping on the shaft that comes out of the steering rack while my wife was turning the wheel.
  • Child lock on the rear passenger door doesnt want to disengage. We have turned the key to the unlocked, then cycled locked - unlocked and it has yet to work.
Any help or insight to any of these issues would be great. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update:
Got rid of the f***ing thing. You won’t be seeing me in anything else ford unless it’s my f-150 or a mustang. A 9 year old Mercedes I had with triple the miles I had on that explorer gave us less issues than that car did. Good riddance

Update:
Got rid of the f***ing thing. You won’t be seeing me in anything else ford unless it’s my f-150 or a mustang. A 9 year old Mercedes I had with triple the miles I had on that explorer gave us less issues than that car did. Good riddance
dang :( sorry to hear that... sometimes its the luck of the draw... like my X has got 330k, original engine+trans, never done any steering stuff... i wonder what the issue was, sorry i ddint see this thred earlier

That escalated quickly. 😂

dang :( sorry to hear that... sometimes its the luck of the draw... like my X has got 330k, original engine+trans, never done any steering stuff... i wonder what the issue was, sorry i ddint see this thred earlier
I know the older explorers are reliable my buddy has one that’s right up there with miles. The newer ones aren’t all that good

There was also the my key feature turned on which wouldn’t let us go over 80mph and limited the volume. Dealer wanted 400 for a key to get rid of the mykey

0-60 real fast 🤣
1653513731304.png

There was also the my key feature turned on which wouldn’t let us go over 80mph and limited the volume. Dealer wanted 400 for a key to get rid of the mykey
The member in the other thread you posted in got the MyKey issue fixed for $75 by a locksmith who made a master key and programmed it. It solved the same issue you had.

Peter

The member in the other thread you posted in got the MyKey issue fixed for $75 by a locksmith who made a master key and programmed it. It solved the same issue you had.

Peter
All lock smiths around me wanted +350 and wouldn’t guarantee the key will work

All lock smiths around me wanted +350 and wouldn’t guarantee the key will work
Sucks to live somewhere without healthy competition.

Back