• Register Today It's free!

Steering column 94-99

Johnwimber1

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Elsinore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer xlt
Hi can’t seem too find answers does anyone know if the steering columns in the 1994-1999 explorers are the same? I found a kit too put a different steering wheel on mine but it says it works for every year of that body style but the 99 which is mine does anyone know if the shaft is the same? Thank you so much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The body style would be 95-2001, or 95-97 and 98-01.

My wild guess would be electrical changes.
The new wheel have an airbag?

The body style would be 95-2001, or 95-97 and 98-01.

My wild guess would be electrical changes.
The new wheel have an airbag?
The kit says it’s for 91-94 but mine is a 99 and no doesn’t have an airbag it’s a prp steering wheel the truck is a prerunner now and someone luckily is making a kit I just don’t know if the shaft is the same that’s all that matters all the wiring doesn’t matter anymore

Oh. In your original post you said “1994-1999.”

I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t the same. I’m sure someone will chime in who knows for sure.

I would bet that the steering wheel shaft does match for all of those models. In general prior to the 2000's Fords, there were either car steering shafts or truck shafts, the spline count and shape differ slightly.

So the steering wheel you found, if it claims to fit a 1st gen Explorer(91-94), then it should fit the 95-01 shafts also. The fitment of the plastic column surround might be a hair different, as well as the wiring items(clock spring or older type of horn connections).

That kit you mention likely has parts to mate with the 91-94 1st gen columns, to operate a horn. You won't have those column parts on your truck to work with that older type of horn wiring parts.

I would bet that the steering wheel shaft does match for all of those models. In general prior to the 2000's Fords, there were either car steering shafts or truck shafts, the spline count and shape differ slightly.

So the steering wheel you found, if it claims to fit a 1st gen Explorer(91-94), then it should fit the 95-01 shafts also. The fitment of the plastic column surround might be a hair different, as well as the wiring items(clock spring or older type of horn connections).

That kit you mention likely has parts to mate with the 91-94 1st gen columns, to operate a horn. You won't have those column parts on your truck to work with that older type of horn wiring parts.

this is the kit if that helps I’ve been looking for a way too put an aftermarket wheel on it the wiring doesn’t matter anymore due too what the built is

That center hub adapter is the part you need to work with your truck's column. It should bolt on if they are correct that it works for the older trucks. I'd order it and declare if needed, that you have a 1994 Explorer. They should honor any warrantee for the applications they list, but might not if you tell them it's a 99 etc.

As I posted, the steering shaft is the same for all of those older Ford trucks. The cars all have a different shaft, so there are basically two OEM steering wheel groups.

The wheel will bolt on, but you won;t be able to use those horn parts, the guts. You can install the horn stuff, except the wires won't be able to connect to anything. Or you may come up with something to use the horn, for a while until the wires break from the wheel turning.

Back