Steering Column Multifunction Connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Column Multifunction Connector

Velicos

Reaction score
01 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (~105,000 miles)

So the typical rear left tail light (brake light and turn signal) problem kicked in on my girlfriends Sport Trac last month. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't of known to look at the steering column which seems to be an utter plague to 01-03 Sport Trac (from what my research shows). For anyone who hasn't experienced this or read about it, there is a gray connector that plugs into a module right behind the steering wheel (inside the column) which gets yanked at every single time you move the steering column up and down. The design didn't allow enough slack in the wiring harness and eventually the connector degrades to a point where the metal contact points physically pull out and either create a short or provide no connectivity at all.

So I have two questions:

#1: How can you replace this harness? I went to a local Ford dealer and they said they stopped making parts for the 01 and they aren't supporting it anymore. Up to what year can I buy parts for the Sport Trac that will fit on the 01?

#2: Has anyone tried to reason with a dealership or Ford corporate to initiate a recall? This is a serious design flaw and stop the brake light from working or heck it could easily start a fire.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Chris

Thanks ncranchero. Seems like my google abilities were lacking this time, thanks for the links.

For now I took some RTV to the back of the connector so the wires get some strain relief and will hopefully last the rest of the trucks life. If it fails, I guess the $35 connector will do.

Back