Steering doesn't move in 4x4...

YourNameHere

Reaction score
City, State
Haverhill, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
OK, so my 4x4 wasn't working at all.
So, I swapped in a brand new t.c. motor. Now my 4x4 works EXCELLENT!

1 problem....
When the 4 wheel drive is engaged, my steering wheel doesn't want to turn more than half way.
If I turn the wheel all the way (to either side) and try to move, it's as if the wheels are hitting something. It's almost like it's in park.

Cliffnotes: 4wd works, but can't turn the steering wheel more than half way while the truck is moving. If I stop the truck, the steering wheel will turn, but when I try to go forward it won't move.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As Froader has mentioned the 4x4 system is for Snow/Rainy road or off-road. The tremendous traction on dry pavement will cause the front wheels to grip with such force that turning will be extremely difficult (and could easily brake an outer tie rod in the process).

Sweet!
That's good to know. I was trying it on wet pavement, but no snow or ice or anything.

Sorry guys. Ya gotta be easy on me. This is my first ever 4x4.

This is true. The Explorer has what is called "part-time" four wheel drive. When in 4WD both front and rear driveshafts are turning at the same speed, but when you turn the steering wheel when on dry pavement, the front-right-left-rear, actually all the wheels wil be turning at different speeds. The result will be severe binding that will damage the drive train. The Explorer depends on having some slip in the system and this can only be provided by a slippery road surface, such as mud, sand or snow.

Some 4X4's, like Jeep Grand Cherokee, for example have a center differential or a fluid coupling that allows the front and rear driveshafts to turn at different speeds.

With the Explorer, its OK to run on dry pavement with the hubs locked (though not all the time), but not OK to have the transfer case in 4WD.

Bob

Thanks for the explanation Bob.
How couls the hubs be locked, but the transfer case NOT be in 4wd?
Is that with manual hubs only?

Sit down right now and read your owners manual, seriously, before you damage your truck.

To answer your question, after disengaging 4x4 you must put the truck in reverse and back up something like 20 feet in a straight line to disengage the hubs. So you could be driving around in 4x2 with the hubs engaged, causing all sorts of extra drag, and killing your mpg's.

I wish I had an owners manual. LOL
It's not like I'm clueless about cars, I'm a car nut.
I'm just not a truck nut.

Thanks for the explanation Bob.
How couls the hubs be locked, but the transfer case NOT be in 4wd?
Is that with manual hubs only?

Take a peek at the animation video in the Troubleshooting 4x4 problems thread. It shows the various things that occur when you press 4x4. Autohubs as the name implies will automatically lock when the axle shaft going into it as made a few revolutions (ie 4x4 is on). When you disengage 4x4 the hubs remain locked until you reverse direction for several feet. Reversing direction with 4x4 still engaged will cause Autohubs to unlock and then re-lock in the opposite direction. As such it is never :nono:a good idea to try to rock a stuck vehicle with autohubs out by quickly changing from forward to reverse as this will put alot of strain on the hubs and potentially grenade them.

Manual hubs on the other hand are either locked or unlocked by turning the dial on the hubs face.

Back