Steering fluid Reservoir?

Wolfsbain

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrence, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Gents,

Is it me, or does the 2012 Explorer have no power steering fluid fill reservoir? My steering is making suck a bad loud noise and sticking that I have to fight to turn it back on a curve. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow, but before I get there and possibly look stupid, where is the reservoir so that I can check if the fluid is low?

I've had this car since April, and since then, both front hubs needed to be changed, the transmission needed to be "Updated", the reverse camera works when it wants to, now the steering and yesterday the touch screen kept freezing! WTH?!

Your 2012 Explorer is equipped with electric power-assisted steering. There is no power-steering fluid.

I believe there was a recall issued to address a power-steering problem with Explores built between 5/17/2010 and 2/28/2012. You should ask your dealer if that recall applies to your Explorer.

Your 2012 Explorer is equipped with electric power-assisted steering. There is no power-steering fluid.

I believe there was a recall issued to address a power-steering problem with Explores built between 5/17/2010 and 2/28/2012. You should ask your dealer if that recall applies to your Explorer.

Thank you. Now I know I can go in and know that I will not look like a fool haha.

Thank you. Now I know I can go in and know that I will not look like a fool haha.

One could say your reservoir is completely empty...

Welcome to the forum.

In regards to the above mentioned recall, it was not a recall rather a warranty extension which going off my bad memory, was 10yr/150k but a 1 time replacement. If it has been replaced once, it no longer pertains to the vehicle. I also believe you ha e to have certain codes presant for it to fall into this coverage.

Sounds like the previous owner got rid of it as things started to pop up. I wonder how far behind the MFT software is. You can check it in your vehicle settings through the screen. You should be at v3.8. There is a v3.10 but you have to do it manually through a backdoor persay and doesnt do much.

Back