• Register Today It's free!

Steering grinding noise

Hawk312

Reaction score
City, State
York, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I have a 2011 Explorer Limited that started making a rough sounding grinding noise. I can feel it in the steering wheel. It is hard to describe, but it sounds and feels as if someone poured sand into the steering box. I am hoping its something other than the steering rack, as they are quite pricey it seems. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't seen/heard that being posted about before. Sounds like it could be some internal parts rubbing on something. No idea really.

Peter

Did you ever determine the cause? I may have the same problem but cant get your video to play. For me, it started as a popping or clicking when turning the wheel, especially at low speeds, but now its turned into a grinding when turning the wheel. A shop told me that it is the "steering gear" and I would have to take it to a dealership for replacement. Just want to do some research myself or get a second opinion before going the dealer route.

Unfortunately it was the steering rack. That means about $2K in repairs. :( It needed the parts and alignment.

My video is on youtube:

Unfortunately it was the steering rack. That means about $2K in repairs. :( It needed the parts and alignment.

My video is on youtube:

That’s what I was afraid of... did you have to take it to a dealer?

Back