• Register Today It's free!

Steering is bound up

Todderr

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond,Va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
I just recently installed a PA Body lift on my '94 Explorer and now when I turn the wheel left or right about 3/4 - 1 turn it is hard to turn if I continue it turns easy then happens again in about the same amount of turns. I did a search and found Rookie's Steering Shaft swap from an older Bronco, will this correct the problem? I have driven it about 10 miles and it's a little looser than when I first installed the kit. Also when I first installed the kit and turned the steering I noticed a rubbing noise comming from the rubber connector (u joint) on the shaft.

Todd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the steering shaft and make sure it's not rubbing/binding up against something - such as the exhaust manifold, brake lines, wiring, etc..

Did you use the steering extension that gets bolted to the steering joint?

Jason94sport said:
Did you use the steering extension that gets bolted to the steering joint?

Yes I used the extension.

Try taking it out. Some have had it work better by not using the extension.

I got the same exact problem with my stearing after the 3in bl. I need help to I can't figure it out.

Well lets hope Todderr reports back as to how he solved his problem :D

Problem is resolved, it was where the rubber piece connects to the steering shafts, the metal tabs were hitting the shaft when you turn. We bent the tabs back a little and it fixed the problem.

I answered somebody last night with this same problem, but here is my solution:

I put a 3" body lift on my '92 and the upper rubber joint was binding and split. My '91 steering shaft had a metal u-joint instead of the rubber one, so I took the shaft out of the '91, put the extension on it and put it in the '92. It has worked fine with no binding ever since. ( I did this the night before my 6 hour road trip to Crozett in June). The next week I searched junkyards and found 1 more that had a metal joint, bought it and put it in my '91.

I'm not sure about this, but it seems that only '91's or a certain number of '91's had this metal joint shaft, because the second one I got came out of a '91 also. Anybody know that for sure?

Back