• Register Today It's free!

Steering issue

explrths

Reaction score
City, State
Va Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 x
For awhile now i have had somewhat of a vibration in the front end. Now, the steering gets stiff at a quarter turn, then loosens up, the gets stiff again. This happens in both directions. I have pretty much replaced everything up front except 1 tierod and 1 half shaft. I jacked the truck up today. Pushed and pulled on everything, it all seems tight. Check the steering extionsion, tight. While the wheels were off, I started it up, and turned the wheels l/r. It seemed to pulsate pretty bad, is this normal when the wheels are off? Second, while the wife was turning the wheel for me, I noticed the lower on the steering arm, close to the rack there was a boot. The top was torn and I could see the joint(knuckle?) If dirt , mud whatever got in there, can it get into the rack/pinion? THis boot being torn, could it really effect the steering? Thanks guys

the rack and pinions on these explorers are actually known for getting air into the Power Steering system - but that doesn't really sound like your problem. I would however say that you probably have a faulty rack and you'll need to replace it. That'll probably fix your problem. :thumbsup:

Oh, and if you replace it and then it has a little bit of the same type of steering, just makesure you get ALL of the air out!

-Drew

Not the answer I was looking for. But i am starting to lean that way. Everythign else seems to be tip top. Thanks

Well, update. I went in and adjusted the camber, needed to be done. Took care of alot of the problem. I still have alittle vibration at 45 mph, and steering is still alittle stiff, but alot better

Back