Steering issues

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok guys, my 91 explorer has a new power steering pump and new return line hose. The problem was that i was having a real hard time with turning left to right. It stays straight, but turning was an issue. It would be sticky when trying to turn left and right, as if the power steering was failing. SO I replaced the pump. It is still doing the same thing. I had to replace my belt tensioner as that had failed. I have no idea what could be wrong. I had taken my X to the shop to check the ball joints etc, they said they were fine.....what could be the issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure that you bled the new pump/lines suffciiently? It can take quite a bit to get all the air out.

You said you replaced the RETURN line. What about the pressure line? Maybe it's clogged/collapsed/etc...? It's possible the steering gear itself could be bad. I would also check very closely for bent parts in the steering linkages. Also, check to make sure nothings binding up the column itself. Maybe there is something "stuck" in the u-joint?

That's about all there is to it. The steering system only has a few parts, and the problem has to be in one of them. Good luck.

I turned it left and right several times, and don't see any more bubbles...how many times should I turn left to right? Any way to check the pressure line? Where exactly is the steering gear and how can I check to see if its bad?

Had the EXACT same problem. Pump failed slowly, then like a domino rally, took out the supply hoses... both of them and fried some steering gear internals/seals. Kept boiling fluid on a daily basis when turning to the left. Should have known better.

Replaced everything and with the front wheels off the ground and engine running, steered left to right a buncha times to clear all the air out. Been working great ever since - (about 80,000 miles ago) :)

Ouch! Ya, seems like that's what's happening to me right now. belt tensioner is bad, replaced that, replaced the ps pump, and return line. Not sure about the pressure line or the steering gear though.

Also, don't know if this is related, but my battery slowly died when this happened, would a ps pump failure cause the battery to be drained dead??

I turned it left and right several times, and don't see any more bubbles...how many times should I turn left to right? Any way to check the pressure line? Where exactly is the steering gear and how can I check to see if its bad?

Best bet would be to buy a Haynes, or Chilton manual. It sounds like you are a bit of a beginner at auto repair, and these manuals are a great resource/learning tool for somebody just starting out. They do tend to "ignore" some more advanced repairs, but they are still great to have around. I like to have both, as they sometimes have slightly different info.

There is a specific bleeding procedure, that you can find by doing either a google, or forum search. Try "Ford power steering bleeding procedures" or something similar. Either way, you definitely need to turn the wheel lock-to-lock, more then "several times". It can sometimes take hours, or days, of multiple bleedings to get all the air out of a p/s system.

It may also be a good idea to get a more knowledgeable friend to come help you out. It is very difficult to diagnose problems over the internet. Many things requiring touching/hearing/feeling what's going on.

I have a hayne's manual. its not specific enough. I'm just going to take it into the local tire shop to see if they can figure it out. I can't wait to self-diagnose it.

Battery was checked, was low cuz it was completely dead last night. The alternator is new.

Ok guys. I took my explorer into the shop today. They said the gearbox was leaking like crazy...well, I didn't see any leaking underneath when i had it. ANYWAYS, they said when they went to align the splines, whatever is wrong with my truck is in the column. What does that mean, I need to replace the whole column? What is wrong with my trucK? Anyone had this issue??

NOT the gearbox after all. So, I have a new gearbox, all new power steering lines, and a new pump that may or may not be bad. After getting the suv back from the tire shop, its still sticking, and turning back is no fun either. Guess I'm just going to drive it until next week, where hopefully I can find the time to replace the new pump I just put in, see if that takes care of it, if not, then its the steering column and that will have to wait.

I have been on therangerstation.com troubleshooting my steering issues, we think we have narrowed the problem to the steering column. Does anyone here know exactly how to pull out the steering column to check for bad spots?

Hi:

I would like to revisit your symptoms before taking something else apart. You have spent enough money on this problem I think.

When you say "..would be sticky when trying to turn left and right.." how do you mean that. Are you stationary or mobile? Is it only on full turns or when correcting direction of travel?

When you say "..It stays straight, but turning was an issue.." does this mean when you are driving down a straight road the x follows the road. (Normally you have to make slight adjustment to keep any x going straight.) Do you feel the sticky issues on the slight adjustments?

If the problem is in the steering column or power steering then you should be able to feel it by raising the front off the ground and, with the motor running, turn the steering right and left.

Just trying to determine what is binding.
PaMnd

It's sticky on any turn left or right, even at stop. It doesn't turn smoothly at all. The steering wheel will not return on its own, I have to steer it back to straight. I can feel the sticking start even at the slight adjustment for staying straight.

Yes, it happens even when I had the x up on the jack, running or not.. I even took the tie rods off the pitman arm, to see if maybe it was steering linkage in there binding, but nope, it happens even then.

New gearbox, new PS pump, new PS lines.

It's sticky on any turn left or right, even at stop. It doesn't turn smoothly at all. The steering wheel will not return on its own, I have to steer it back to straight.

I can't recall any vehicle that will return on its own, altough some will tend to appear that way with just slight pressure in one direction or another.

That's what I meant. I KNOW that cars won't turn back on their own, but the power steering is supposed to assist that. Mine isn't.

FWIW, I'm going through the exact same thing right now. 96 Explorer. I'd be very interested in what you find out. It almost seems like a U-Joint in the steering column, because the "stickyness" feels more like a bind, because it's happens about every 30 degrees of turn in the wheel. Driving straight, you can turn the wheel about 15degrees in either direction with no bind, but any farther than that, either left or right, seems to bind up. Then you have to fight through the bind and it frees up for another 30 degrees. Makes taking turns awfully fun!

Exactly. I am fairly certain its the steering column. I've replaced everything else...the PS pump, the PS lines, the gearbox....only thing left is the steering column. I am gonna have to hunt for another one that's for a 5 speed.

FWIW, I'm going through the exact same thing right now. 96 Explorer. I'd be very interested in what you find out. It almost seems like a U-Joint in the steering column, because the "stickyness" feels more like a bind, because it's happens about every 30 degrees of turn in the wheel. Driving straight, you can turn the wheel about 15degrees in either direction with no bind, but any farther than that, either left or right, seems to bind up. Then you have to fight through the bind and it frees up for another 30 degrees. Makes taking turns awfully fun!

I read a post about something sort of along these lines, but not really. It deals with a joint in the steering shaft on the second gen exploders. If your interested in reading it, it can be found by clicking here. Maybe this will help, maybe I am way off but it can't hurt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

don't think that thread has much to do with what we're talking about tho. I read thru some of it. My problem is not in the suspension. Mine is in the steering somewhere above the suspension. I've had the suspension and linkage checked time and time again. When I had my gearbox replaced, the guys at the shop said when they went to align it with the steering column, it was the column itself that wasn't turning right.....so I guess that is my answer.

Now to find a replacement steering column from gearbox area to steering wheel.

Back