Steering linkages interchange? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering linkages interchange?

G

geoph1986

So I was at my local pick-a-part yard looking for a M5OD (still haven't found one that's 4X4), and I saw a 1988 Ranger 4X4 with a complete new front end (tie rods, drag links, control arms, springs and I'm assuming ball joints). I didn't pick up the parts because I don't know if they will fit on my 1994 X'ploder 4X4.

I don't need anything up front right now, but parts do wear out and if I could have extras on hand...

I normally wouldn't put used front end parts in my cars, but I mean these must have been put in the truck the same week it got smashed. The parts all look like they look like they just came out of the box.

So now I have a question for all you automotive gurus out there. What years of front end components will work on my truck? The reason I ask "what years", is because I don't think these parts will be there when I get back to the yard, but I do see new parts from time to time...and I'm fine with having a new part sit around until it's needed.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

EDIT: I DON'T KNOW WHY I SAID CONTROL ARMS, I MEANT SPINDLES...

An '88 Ranger will have a D28 up front, where your Explorer will have a D35. So ball joints, spindles, control arms won't interchange.

Because the axlewidths are different, I wouldn't expect the steering linkages to interchange either, but I'm not sure.

It's too bad that none of the parts would work, like I said they are brand new. So I guess I'm only able to use parts from '91-'94 X'ploders and Rangers.

Back