Steering mod question

cmhaah06

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CLOVIS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Does anyone know if the tie rod ends from a 80-96 f150/bronco would bolt directly into the knuckles of a explorer? I saw a steering setup I’d like to try and was wondering if anyone had tried this idea.
E8B31900-908B-476D-ADA3-C00D6BACFAA6.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It looks like it works well... I’m guessing that due to the bends they had to have the steering extended but the stock ttb D44 steering lengths may be long enough to use this on a stock width D35??? Thoughts???

Here’s the YouTube link:

Are those stock 44 tie rods? I would think they are bent.
A D44 is several inches wider than D35, is your 35 widened or stock?
What exactly do you want to gain from this?

You MIGHT need to reem the holes in the steering knuckles a little larger to accept the larger tie rod ends

My tie rods need to be replaced. After seeing this I thought it might free up some down travel, be a little more beef than stock (bigger tie rods?) and clean up some bump steer. I imagine that the bend in the links would narrow the width enough to use in a stock D35 application. As you can see in the picture after bending the tie rod and drag link, they had to extend them, about three to four inches. Overall, trying something different. I remember years ago a small company (rock crusher steering, I think) tried a center mount equal length system but I don’t remember if it worked all that well. I don’t want to pay $2500 for swing set style steering and seems like a plausible idea for a cheap upgrade.

I had a hodge podge of Bronco and Explorer steering on my 94 with Dana 44 TTB's. From what I can recall the tie rod is the same size on the knuckle and the adjuster. I ended up eventually sleeving over the tie rod and drag link, welded in a bung, and ran 7/8 heims on the knuckle end. The stock steering is stong and doesnt limit travel. Swing set steering also does not have to be $2500. You can buy all the heims and tube for about $500, and there is abount an additional $500 in parts.

Back