• Register Today It's free!

Steering Noise When Stopped

Jkrp

Reaction score
City, State
River Ridge, La
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I am experiencing a noise when I turn the steering wheel on my 15 Sport. When the SUV is at a stop, anyone else have this sound coming from outside the vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What type of noise?

wouldn't call it a metal grinding noise at first I thought it was noise from the tires turning on the ground but that is not the case. Hard to describe

sound like a old wooded door opening and closing. best i could come up with

Is it a clunk type noise?

yes several clunking noises as you turn the steering wheel

Steering gear going out maybe?

This is something you'll have to have the shop look at. Sounds are so hard to diagnose over the interwebz.

I am experiencing a noise when I turn the steering wheel on my 15 Sport. When the SUV is at a stop, anyone else have this sound coming from outside the vehicle?
There are several threads on front end clunking and steering issues. You can find them by using the Forum's 'Search' program and see if possibly you may find the answer. Also, please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it always appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

so i am waiting on parts to arrive to have my cluncking noise repaired will post what bushings went bad once the repairs have been done and i have the documentation.

After that i will have my passanger window fixes. it keeps locking up in the middle of the up or down cycle.

and when i find the time i will bring it to the dealer i purchased the vehicle from to have the cowl replaced due to the noise at high speeds.

i really wanted to buy a ford and become a loyal ford owner at this point i will have to give it a few years and see what pans out. so far 3 months of ownership = too many issues for a person who needs there car to travel for work everyday.

so i am waiting on parts to arrive to have my cluncking noise repaired will post what bushings went bad once the repairs have been done and i have the documentation.

After that i will have my passanger window fixes. it keeps locking up in the middle of the up or down cycle.

and when i find the time i will bring it to the dealer i purchased the vehicle from to have the cowl replaced due to the noise at high speeds.

i really wanted to buy a ford and become a loyal ford owner at this point i will have to give it a few years and see what pans out. so far 3 months of ownership = too many issues for a person who needs there car to travel for work everyday.
Hope they get all the issues fixed.
Please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. That would be helpful. Thanks.

Peter

Hi all.

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer and it makes a thumping/thunking sound when I turn the wheel and I'm stopped or going very slow. The steering is not affected. The wheel turns smoothly except for the low-pitched noise.

I made a video demonstrating the noise. It's very hard to hear, so turn your speakers up.

It’s a lot of stress to turn the wheels at a standstill as opposed to when you are moving. I’d check your inner and outer tie rods for play.

Thanks Mbrooks420.

I'll check on this and report back.

Back