Steering problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering problems

Devin Nolan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Hey guys, is anyone else having steering problems with their explorers? Mine seems to drift all over the road And not just drift to the right like most vehicles do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are the first to complain on a 2020.

Is lane keep/centering turned on? That could make a difference.

My problem went away after I reduced the air pressure to the posted number...33

Is lane keep/centering turned on? That could make a difference.
When I do have lane centering on you can tell the vehicle is still drifting by how much the steering in having to adjust to keep the explorer centered in the lane, it’s a smoother drive when I have it on, but I don’t like to drive with it on constantly.

I do not have that issue. Check tire pressures. If that doesn't fix it take it to the dealer. Doesn't sound like something to mess around with.

Welcome to the Forum Devan.:wave:
As a couple of members have mentioned, check the tire pressure. Many owners found that the dealer did not reduce the 45 or so PSI that was used for transit.

Peter

Hey guys, is anyone else having steering problems with their explorers? Mine seems to drift all over the road And not just drift to the right like most vehicles do.
I'm having same issue ..my wife drives it mostly but when I'm in it on highway feels like driving on ice especially when changing lanes

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

You are the first to complain on a 2020.

From the Lincoln Q&A thread, it sounded like there is a potential overheating issue with the steering gear that results in this behavior.

My Aviator exhibits this behavior after it's been somewhere the steering system has to work, like a canyon. The steering effort goes up while the sensitivity to the inputs also increases. So at Freeway speed, the steering effort is really high and it's impossible to correct a drift to one side or the other. It goes to one side lane, you try to correct it and it's too much, it heads across the lane, crosses the line, the lane minder pops up on the HUD say the lane keeping has been cancelled as it goes across the other paint stripes. You cannot keep it in the middle of the lane. I took it to the dealer and let the service advisor drive it, it didn't do it. Couple of days later I took it out on the Freeway in the morning and it wouldn't do it then either.

It did it twice while I was driving it home to Utah from Colorado, mountains most of the way. The first day was about 300 miles and it did it for about the last 50 miles which were basically flat. Second day was about 400 miles and the last 100 miles going mostly down hill, on a Freeway, was a really pain in the you know where.

If you have to get the steering system hot before it'll act up, I'm not sure how we'll ever get it fixed. The issue is addressed on page 309 of the owner's manual.

Zeeb, we'll have to keep in mind that there are 2 Owner' manuals for the Aviator. Page 309 in my Manual is about Load Carrying and air suspension. Page 309 in the Hybrid's Manual is on the steering issue that may arise.

Peter

Page 264 in the Explorer manual....

Page 264 in the Explorer manual....
Thanks Will. My post was actually about the Aviator. Unlike the Explorer, the Aviator has 2 Owner's Manuals. One for the regular and one for the Hybrid version.

Peter

Regardless of what it says in the owner's manual, I can't see any situation where it is acceptable for the vehicle to do this when it is being used for its designed purpose. After time on a race track maybe, but no way it should behave like that when being used as designed on a public road. If your vehicle does this, and Zeeb seems to have the definitive case, I would suggest contacting Ford and maybe the NHTSA. You might be saving some lives down the road.

I'm having same issue ..my wife drives it mostly but when I'm in it on highway feels like driving on ice especially when changing lanes
Update, the explorer went to the shop today for an alignment, which is where we decided to start with the troubleshooting, and it turns out the camber Angle is off and they had to order some parts that will be be in next week.

Update, the explorer went to the shop today for an alignment, which is where we decided to start with the troubleshooting, and it turns out the camber Angle is off and they had to order some parts that will be be in next week.

I have exactly the same problem with my Explorer ST. Could you please share what part has been ordered exactly? It would help me out as what I am experiencing with the dealer is really annoying. Thank you.

I have exactly the same problem with my Explorer ST. Could you please share what part has been ordered exactly? It would help me out as what I am experiencing with the dealer is really annoying. Thank you.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I doubt that he would have the info until the invoice is prepared after the work has been done.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks! Feels good to be here.
Yes sorry I missed the post date. Keep us posted! Thanks a million.

Back