jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
Ok I'm about to replace mine since its on its last leg. Looked up parts on Napa's website and they list two, one at $170 and one at $150. Called up and asked the difference. They said one is a 2dr and one is a 4dr. Maybe I'm wrong, but there isn't a difference in the rack and pinion between a 2dr and a 4dr is there? I don't know why there would be. Other websites don't list a difference that I can tell. They show the $170 as the 2dr. I'd rather buy the cheaper if they are the same!
Autozone's are a little cheaper, but I've had better luck with Napa stuff in the past.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked around on a bunch of site and all listed specific ones for 2dr and 4dr models. The only thing I can think of that would be different is the 4dr one might be beefier for the extra weight. I noticed on one site the 4dr rack weighed 5lbs more than the 2dr. Have you tried phoning a dealership parts dept and asking them?

I would go to an actual napa and ask them to order both parts and see if there is a differance.

This Napa is a distribution warehouse one so they have both in stock. I often go get multiple parts and take them to the truck to see. I planned on doing that this time too.
Thanks for looking around Bashman. I checked the Ford CD and it only lists one part# for the steering rack. I was going to call a dealership tomorrow and see if they listed it differently. If its a matter of one being beefier, I'll go that route for sure if it still fits.
I'll update when I find out so others can know for sure. Thanks guys.

Well, I can tell you that if my steering rack ever goes bad again, I'm taking it to the shop. Replacing that thing sucks! Anyway.. to the point.
I went and looked at both the "4dr" and "2dr" model. They looked the same so I bought the 4dr since it was $30 cheaper. Got it home and it has the same part# stamped into the metal housing as the one I removed from the truck so I'm happy. Its just a remanufactured stock one. It fit fine and went in without any real hassle. The dealership lists two seperate part#s for them also so I don't know if that is just so the parts monkeys don't get confused or something.
Just so anyone that comes across this later knows.. the 4dr version worked on my 2dr.. at least so far!

The steering rack was one of the hardest parts of my awd conversion. Even trying to swap in the rack on just a rolling chassis was a pain in the ass. I wouldn't wish this repair on anyone besides jasonb.

thanks! :D

;)

How long did it take you to do this Jason?

All in all, I think it was about 3 - 3.5 hrs but I still have to put new tie rod ends on. That shouldn't take long at all though. I got back from NAPA around 12:30 and started shortly after. Finished up today about 5:30 but that includes time to eat something, go to the depot for a socket that I apparently lost, and some time painting and messing with the zuk. This is assuming it doesn't leak or something and need to be redone.
I don't work real fast on this stuff though. The most time consuming part was removing the old one. It is so tight and difficult to get bolts unscrewed. Some of the threaded stuff is like 2" of thread that seems like micro threads and you only get like 1/10th of a turn each time due to tight quarters.

Yeah, I replaced the rack on my other truck twice. Both times my mechanic had a choice line of obsenities when I told him what it was in for. He said the Explorer is on his top 3 hated rack replacement list. Was your rack leaking out of the boots, or just skipping, and sluggish?

All three plus noticeable shudder or binding feeling during slow sharper turns either way. I could grab the tire and move it side to side a LOT more than worn tie rods by themselves. I'll put the new tie rod ends on today and take it for a test drive. I'm assuming an alignment will be in order but we'll see..

I think the rack in the Mounty will need replacing after winter. It has a bit of shuddering when idling through a sharp turn. I won't be doing it as per usual. I love warranties :cool:

section or anyone else : If i go from AWD to 2wd do I have to change my steering rack?

boominXplorer said:
section or anyone else : If i go from AWD to 2wd do I have to change my steering rack?

Nope. My rack is from my 2WD truck.

Back