• Register Today It's free!

Steering rack strength?

newstylecustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 Explorer Sport
I am considering building a steering system for my truck that will use the original steering rack but not sure about how strong it really is. During the TTB conversion I used a steering box from a 94 Ranger and it is functional, drive it everyday, but I have never been happy with the way the mounting turned out. I will be making a swingset steering in the future anyway so the amount of fab work will be about the same either way. I know people have had problems with the inner tie rods breaking in offroad applications but I won't be using those anyway. Has anyone broken there steering rack offroad? Will I be wasting my time with this conversion? Just looking for opinions.

I will take the lack of response to mean that no one has ever broken a steering rack, so they must be strong. If I am incorrect please let me know.

I've never seen one break before, just wear out or leak. I'd be curious to see your set up if you decide to go this route.

I've never seen one break before, just wear out or leak. I'd be curious to see your set up if you decide to go this route.

Thanks for the response, it will be a while before I get to this part of the project since it works, and drives fine right now.

Back