steering shaft extension for 2" body lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

steering shaft extension for 2" body lift

Desurface

Reaction score
City, State
Hornell
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0 EB explorer
Question for you all. I'm doing a 2" body lift soon and need to know if the 3" shaft extension will work correctly. I've already read that some say you don't NEED a shaft extension with a 2" lift but I have the shaft already. Thanks.

You don't need the shaft extension. I put a 2" body lift on mine with no problems.

I just did a steering shaft extension DIY Style.

I went to pick-n-pull, and cut off the top of a steering shaft with a sawzall. I took it home, and cut my steeringshaft down as well as the pick n pull one with a band saw to clean them up. I made it a little longer, put a piece of 5/8" square bar stock in as a jig, and welded the 2 together. Then I put a pin through the welded steering shaft and through the 5/8 bar.

The place where I spliced the shaft is now stronger than it was before I started messing with it.

I did a 3" body lift, you can use this method to make any length of steering shaft extension. It is also a lot cheaper to buld your won lift kit. Takes a lot more time though..

The 3” one is only maybe a 1” spacer. I can take a picture for you if I can find mine sitting around somewhere.

Back