• Register Today It's free!

Steering shaft issues....

kmank

Reaction score
City, State
Danbury, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Hello folks, definitely been a few months since I've been here getting help for my PS pump and rack n pinion problems. All your help was invaluable in getting the Explorer going again. Been laid up with some medical issues which has now made the physical part of "repairing your own" that much more near impossible.
Anyhow, my intermediate steering shaft is on the way out. I can reach in there and grab hold of it and with the wheels and steering wheel locked I can hear that joint clicking/clunking as I twist it back n forth. It's rusted up pretty bad and I've been told that those guys can come apart when they're bad enough. If there's anyone that might know where I can purchase one (please, maybe a bit over $100) or have any other suggestions as to maybe rebuilding the one I got with a new universal joint (if its possible) I sure would appreciate hearing it. I've searched the internet and called all my local auto parts stores and local junk yards with no darned luck. Well, Thanx again for you at least giving this thread a read. Hope someone can help out. gk

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking at the same kind of issue with my '95. I can grab the steering shaft out under the hood & wiggle it around more than I think I should be able to. However, the rockauto link above now comes up showing 'no parts'. I'll keep on searching, but has anyone had any luck finding this shaft/joint?

TIA,
ACE

Thanx, but no dice. Once those Amazon results are filtered for my truck, there is no matching part. Ford has this part, for ~$470 ...

That looks like a good idea, and about 1/2 the cost of an OEM unit ... thx.

ACE

Thanx, but no dice. Once those Amazon results are filtered for my truck, there is no matching part. Ford has this part, for ~$470 ...

Yikes.

Tilt wheel shouldn't up the price. The steering shaft only goes from the rack to the column at the firewall.

I found out the hard way about those things. Mine would bind up randomly, I replaced the rack thinking it was the issue...nope, it was the shaft. I just found a good used one and lubed it, but the boot was still torn on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORDMERCURY...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cce895eb&vxp=mtr

This one shows fitting back to 98...I don't recall what year I pulled mine from, but I would imagine it would work back to 95.

[MENTION=85174]kevinspann[/MENTION], I was just remembering that the parts compatibility drop-down on the link I ref'd had both non-tilt and tilt pages to go to ... and while the #3B676 is shown for the same shaft assy, for both the Ranger/Exploder, the price is wildly different ...

The parts compatibility dialog on the ebay page you linked to specifically shows that the part is not compatible with a '95 ...

ACE

Back