Steering shaft u-joint? 1994 steering box in a 1999 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering shaft u-joint? 1994 steering box in a 1999

newstylecustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 Explorer Sport
I have installed the steering box from a 94 on my 99 Explorer project, I am looking for better ideas to adapt the steering shaft to the old box. The angle is too great for the rag joint and I would prefer a u-joint anyway. I may end up with Flaming River u-joint and have to weld it to the collapsible portion of the original shaft. Any ideas would be appreciated pics would be even better.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have installed the steering box from a 94 on my 99 Explorer project, I am looking for better ideas to adapt the steering shaft to the old box. The angle is too great for the rag joint and I would prefer a u-joint anyway. I may end up with Flaming River u-joint and have to weld it to the collapsible portion of the original shaft. Any ideas would be appreciated pics would be even better.

Thanks.

Go find a 91 Ranger or Explorer in a junkyard. I seen 4 stock RBV steering shafts with u-joints at both ends, (I have 1 in my 94 now.) they were all on '91s.

I didn't realize that, thanks for the info. Hopefully later this week it will warm up and I can go get one.

It is the difference between the connection to the steering rack and the steering gear that are different.

Go find a 91 Ranger or Explorer in a junkyard. I seen 4 stock RBV steering shafts with u-joints at both ends, (I have 1 in my 94 now.) they were all on '91s.

Woot! Awesome info! I didnt know this! Wonder why they changed it up after only 1 production year? Either way, this is perfect for a 3" body lift! :) Will try it out on the 94, and maybe even for the 1st gen box that is going in the 95 for the SAS conversion!

Hope to go to the junkyard tomorrow and look for one. I looked up a u-joint for a Bronco and found it available at Autozone $82.99!! I think this might work for me and the U pull it near me is full of F-150s and Broncos.

I checked all the 91s at the yard and most other trucks and vans I could find. None had u-joints at both ends. Most had a u-joint at the column end but a rag joint at the box. I ended up getting a shaft from a 97 F-150 because it had u-joints at both ends and should bolt up to the steering column in place of the original, I will have to modify the box end slightly and shorten it but it will still be collapsible.

Back