steering shake after repalcing brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

steering shake after repalcing brakes

95'4.0exp

Reaction score
City, State
El Cajon
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 2wd xlt
replaced both front and rear rotors and pads on my explorer today. test drove it afterwards and everything felt fine.

on my drive home though, i got this violent shaking in my steering wheel.

not sure what caused it, would it be lugs not tightened all the way?, hub nut too loose/tight?, or something else?

it started shaking when going around a long, light left bend on the freeway at around 65 mph. ive never had that problem before and when it happened it scared the s*** out of me.

if you have any info/tips/advise, please let me know.

thank you very much in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check wheel bearings and lugs jack it up and wiggle the tires. If everything is tight did you rotate the tires when you did brakes? If you did try rotating them back.

Nate

no, i left the tires in the same location as they were. and ill check the bearing tomorrow after work, but they were repacked and put in all the way. im not driving it until i know it drives right and doesnt shake. would the bearing be too loose, or need to be replaced?
cause they all looked good when they were removed and repacked.

when re packing you need to make sure you spin the wheel while tightning the bearing they can feel tight but once they spin or get weight on them they will losen up probably not a bad thing to re check. can be done with wheel on just remove center caps and bearing caps. Good luck!
Nate

find an empty parking lot and drive around doing figure 8's, that will get all the air out of the power steering pump and rack and pinion and the problem will go away,

when the wheels were off you may have moved the steering allowing air to get into the system, it is common on these for that to happen,,

find an empty parking lot and drive around doing figure 8's, that will get all the air out of the power steering pump and rack and pinion and the problem will go away,

when the wheels were off you may have moved the steering allowing air to get into the system, it is common on these for that to happen,,

+1 Exactly !!! :thumbsup:

corkey, thank you for that, i did have to turn them to get to the caliper bracket. but the shacken stopped, redid the bearing nut, and retightened, drove it on he freeway,, and no problems.

but noticed that a weight for my driver front tire had some how come off, so im going to take it to get them balanced tomorrow

Back