• Register Today It's free!

Steering shudder getting worse.

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
I changed out all 4 ball joints this weekend (and got an allignment) thinking it would cure the steering shudder I get at low speeds. Well, it didn't. I need to find the source of this shudder befor it drives me nuts. Whenever I am going slow and have hte wheels turned it shudders and you can feel and hear it throughout the whole truck. It only seems to do it while wheels are turnedand going at a low rate of speed. I put it in neutral and let it roll with the wheels turned and it didn't seem to do it near as bad. Does anyone have any idea of what I need to check next? If this is a problem with the rack, how would I check it? Please any help I can get would be great!

Thanks-Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like the rack to me. and its a LOT of fun to replace. as far as how to narrow it down... not real sure. mine was really bad and i could move the tie rods in and out much more than if they were worn only. plus the rack leaked.

Brian, you might try changing the power steering fluid first. Mine had a low speed shudder as you describe, and a fluid change cured it.

If yours has a lot of miles, this might not work. My shudder was at 36K; now have 56K on it and still no more shudder. Anyway, it dosen't cost a lot in time or money to try it. A turkey baster and 2 quarts of M/DIII ATF are all you need.

I too have the shudder but just like Runnin' I have been doing the turkey baster trick ( with Valvoline Synth ) and right off the bat it has been improving. I recon, as I continue the process it will just get better.

You said that it seemed to lessen when you put it in neutral, so I might look into the 4wd a little. With the automatic hubs, it could be the sensor thinking there is slip or somthing like that. Just a suggestion.

When I bought the truck three years ago it did it ( groaned) once while at the dealership, then I never heard it again for almost a year. It started up but had a thumping and vibration right under my foot which the dealer replaced the lower balljoint. It stop then started again in another year. I replaced the upper and lower balljoint and it disappeared for about a week. I now have the noise again and I need a wheel alignment. I wonder if the noise can stem from low tire pressure? I will put some air in and see what happens. Now I will have to research tie rods on the X.

Diagnosis

Here's what we think may be wrong with your car and what may be causing it. The list goes from the most likely problem to the least likely. Check out our Product and How To pages for more information about particular parts.

Keep in mind, this is a general diagnosis. Your car may not have the parts we list as potential problems. If you're not sure if you car has a particular part, check your owner's manual.

Sounds Like Groaning Turning The Steering

Priority Action Part Type Cause
1 Inspect POWER STEERING PUMP Leaking or damaged power steering pump reservoir.

2 Inspect POWER STEERING HOSE Leaking, clogged or incorrectly installed power steering hose.

3 Inspect POWER STEERING CYLINDER Loose or worn power steering cylinder.

4 Inspect POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE Loose, worn, damaged, or faulty power steering control valve

Back