steering slack (not plastic section) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

steering slack (not plastic section)

gear_grinder

Reaction score
City, State
Central MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0
hi, ive got a 97 sploder 5.0 awd

ive got a bit of steering slack, just enough to make it annoying, and ive pinpointed the slack to ether be the rack or the connection to the rack (that bolt that pinches the steering shaft on the stub in the rack)

my question is, what is the best way to get at the bolt in the steering shaft down there? the steering rack actualy came off of a nother explorer because i bought mine salvage about a year ago and fixed it so idk if i just didnt tighten it enough or what lol.

thanks.

hi, ive got a 97 sploder 5.0 awd

ive got a bit of steering slack, just enough to make it annoying, and ive pinpointed the slack to ether be the rack or the connection to the rack (that bolt that pinches the steering shaft on the stub in the rack)

my question is, what is the best way to get at the bolt in the steering shaft down there? the steering rack actualy came off of a nother explorer because i bought mine salvage about a year ago and fixed it so idk if i just didnt tighten it enough or what lol.

thanks.

You take off the intermediate shaft and I bet you find the slack there. I have been down this road with a few other guys who didn't believe it was the brown plastic shaft.
Put one end in a vise, and use a pipe wrench on the other. I bet you will find the slop

attachment.php

the rack connection is a triangle shape--even if the nut is loose the bolt will hold it tight because there is a groove in the rack connector, sort of like the one in the upper ball joint--knuckle bolt. If it is on there, there is no slack there.

attachment.php

The Intermediate shaft is indeed held in place at the bottom by this bolt, and at the top by another near the firewall

I try to turn the wheels until the nut on the rack end faces toward the front bumper, and using a swivel and long extension ( 1/4") on the socket will help.

I think it is a 12 or 13 mm nut. The bolt must be completely removed before the intermediate shaft will slide up and off the rack connection. ( remember the upper ball joint reference)

here is a link for you

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169840

You may have worn tie rod ends or ball joints also, but if they were bad enough to cause a wander I would think they would be obvious

Man I cringe every time I see that intermediate shaft... nothing but headaches on my 96 sploder with a 3" body lift... I cannot WAIT till teh day I have the time and a suspension so I can remove the body lift or at least reduce it to 2".....

I am on my third and its starting to have another dead spot.... thank god for the junk yards...intermediate shafts all day long

I plan to use a flamingriver steering shaft eventually.....just need the $$$$ and time

Back