Steering sticks in 12 o'clock position | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering sticks in 12 o'clock position

Mark Mc2012

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT
So far this issue has not been identified by the dealer or anywhere online that I can find. At highway speeds, the steering will stick in the 12 o'clock position so you are always correcting. It requires a lot of focus to stay safely in your lane. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So far this issue has not been identified by the dealer or anywhere online that I can find. At highway speeds, the steering will stick in the 12 o'clock position so you are always correcting. It requires a lot of focus to stay safely in your lane. Does anyone know why this is happening?

I am not sure what you mean by the steering wheel "sticking", but if your Ex wanders at highway speed, usually, it's an alignment issue(not enough toe in). This is assuming you have no other issues with the suspension, like tie rods, control arms, sway bar end links, etc. Are there any clunks or other noises? Are your tires inflated to the correct pressure?

Watch this video on how to check your Ex for basic worn front suspension components.

I am not sure what you mean by the steering wheel "sticking", but if your Ex wanders at highway speed, usually, it's an alignment issue(not enough toe in). This is assuming you have no other issues with the suspension, like tie rods, control arms, sway bar end links, etc. Are there any clunks or other noises? Are your tires inflated to the correct pressure?
It's not wandering its literally a feeling of a notch where it sticks and when you adjust / turn the steering you are pulling it out of the notch then need to correct because of the sudden oversteering.

It's not wandering its literally a feeling of a notch where it sticks and when you adjust / turn the steering you are pulling it out of the notch then need to correct because of the sudden oversteering.
Welcome to the Forum Mark.:wave:
It seems that no matter how many issues have been reported over the past 7+ years, there's always a new one. I hope you aren't about to join the "loss of steering" club.
2011 - 2015 Explorer Power Steering Issue

Peter

If it is dead at 12 o clock it sounds like the clockspring lock mechanism may have an issue. There is a pin that is placed into clocksprings to keep them from rotating until a steering wheel is installed. This is to keep it from being overwound and breaking the internal ribbon cable.

Pin should be removed and shouldn't allow a relatch condition, but some thing foreign could have fallen into it maybe?

Back