• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel allignment

Dirt Research

Reaction score
City, State
Elyria, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
I've just added a six inch lift to my 93 2WD X, and I now have a problem with alligning the steering wheel. You may ask; What about the wheel allignment?, but that portion of the steering issue is fine. The steerring wheel is off by half a turn. Which brings me to my question; Will adjusting the drag links on both ends correct my steering wheel problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adjusting the tie rods is what you need to do.
This should have been done WITH the alingment as it is just a critical, and is part of setting the toe.

The vehicle didn't need an allignment, so no adjusting was done. I meant Tie-rods when I used "drag links" in my initial posting. Can I take the steering wheel off, and reallign it that way? My Haynes manual is rather vague on this, so I don't know if this is possible or not.
THANKS!

NO

You cannot realign the steering wheel. The alignment shop isn't reputable. They should have known they needed to readjust the tie rods. The steering wheel has a key hole that will only allow it to go on one way. Your tie rods are adjusted too far to one side or the other. Center your tires so you are going straight. Then turn the steering to the left and then the right. Count how many turns it takes to both of the sides. Judging by what you said, one side should be less than the other. Your alignment going down the road can be perfectly fine, but they need to move something to one side or the other in order to align the steering wheel too. I would go to another alignment shop.
Hope this helps!

Both Tie-rod adjusts are centered, and the steering wheel is a half turn short going to the left. I adjusted the Tie-rods, and knocked the alignment so far off, that I doubt that I could have made it back to the alignment shop before the tires disintegrated. I recentered the Tie-rods, and the vehicle is drivable again with a misaligned steering wheel. Thanks for all the advice. I was hoping that adjusting the steering wheel itself was possible, but I guess not.

from what i gathered you DIDNT get it aligned...with any lift you NEED an alignment... I dont care what you believe but i am right....go take it to a good 4x4 shop.....
The vehicle didn't need an allignment
bull it needs an alignment

Being the third lift that I've done ( the first IFS), I am perfectly aware of how critical a wheel alignment is.
I also know how to interpret what is displayed on screen of the machines computer. I was as shocked as everyone else that the alignment was not off (my two Jeep's were off with varied severities, and yet quite fixable). I wouldn't bother wasting my own as well as everyone elses time if I hadn't done my homework. So yes, the Explorer was sent out for an alignment. Yes, the shop that the vehicle was sent to, has done numerous lifts. I agree that a second alignment attempt may come up differently from the first. Unfortunately, the only choice for an alignment that is left are the "chain garages". Mueller Tire is probably the most acceptable. I'll take over there for a second opinion.
Thanks for all the replies to my question. I am surprised from all the responses, and pleased to know that there is such a knowledge-base for any issues involving my X.

On my Grand Cherokee , you CAN adjust the draglink to center the wheel. I wish it was that easy to do on the Explorer.

There a some things on the ZJ that I like much better then the Explorer and vice versa..

my wheel is ****ed too, but I think the wife tagged something and now its off.

I've done the same on my XJ and Tj when I lifted them. The higher the lift, the worse off the alignment. I had 3" and 2" lifts on the Jeeps, so I was floored when I found that the alignment(computerized) was almost perfect on my 6" lifted X.
Your rack & pinion steering is definitely out of my league. A Ford dealer would probably replace the whole unit, and charge a hefty coin for it to boot.
Good Luck!

Back