Steering Wheel Controls when playing music from USB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel Controls when playing music from USB

smokieethabear

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
It's been about 2 weeks since I've bought my new Explorer Sport. Love the car so far.

I just started using a USB flash drive for music but noticed that I can not skip tracks using the right steering wheel controls. I know the controls on the steering wheel are not the problem since the volume works, and I'm able to switch between favorite radio stations when listening to FM. Anyone else notice this or have a solution?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Haven't tried using my USB flash drive yet so I can't really comment on it.

Peter

On my focus with SYNC3 I have to hit the "Fast Forward"(>>) button to skip a track forward. Not sure if the Explorer has that on the steering wheel.

I found that to be the case with my late model year 2016 Limited with Sony and Sync3. I also found that I can't browse cd's with the steering wheel controls either. The touch screen and the fast forward button on the radio face work.
I have a 2010 Focus and a 2015 Mustang in the family and both of them are able to browse from the steering wheel controls.

I guess this is a case of new and improved from previous versions of MFT.

I've owned a '14 and '17 explorer sport and the steering wheel controls have worked flawlessly with USB on MFT and Sync 3.
I've plugged drives into the center console (2017) as well as the ash tray console and have never had an issue.
Make sure your Sync system is up to date and perhaps try a different drive. I've used Kingston 8, 16, 32 and 64 GB drives.

(oh yeah not to mention my wifes '15 works great too)

Ash tray console = Media hub.;)

Peter

I can't use whilst I have my iPhone plugged in either. The only way I see to advance to the next track is pressing the >> on the screen.
Another issue I have noticed is that when I plug my phone the mobile app will not enable. Also I get an message about not being able to access appledev???
Does the Sync3 updates on its own when connected to my home network?

I wonder if the mobile app only works if I'm connected to my phone data connection?

I've owned a '14 and '17 explorer sport and the steering wheel controls have worked flawlessly with USB on MFT and Sync 3.
I've plugged drives into the center console (2017) as well as the ash tray console and have never had an issue.
Make sure your Sync system is up to date and perhaps try a different drive. I've used Kingston 8, 16, 32 and 64 GB drives.

(oh yeah not to mention my wifes '15 works great too)

I've had a 14 limited and now a 17 limited and mine have and do work flawlessly as well.

OK I've been a dumb butt. Seems the telephone switch on the right side of the steering wheel is the one I need to use to browse.
Once I really looked at the switch and tried it, ohh I feel so foolish..........

OK I've been a dumb butt. Seems the telephone switch on the right side of the steering wheel is the one I need to use to browse.
Once I really looked at the switch and tried it, ohh I feel so foolish..........
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Just a bit thick, sometimes too often. But I do have an excuse (not much of one though), it's the wife's and I have only driven it 4 times since we got it. Was used to the controls on my Mustang GT.

Does the Sync3 updates on its own when connected to my home network?
That is what it should do when an update is available.

Peter

It's been about 2 weeks since I've bought my new Explorer Sport. Love the car so far.

I just started using a USB flash drive for music but noticed that I can not skip tracks using the right steering wheel controls. I know the controls on the steering wheel are not the problem since the volume works, and I'm able to switch between favorite radio stations when listening to FM. Anyone else notice this or have a solution?

Thanks!
Works with an iPod plugged into usb.

Back