Steering Wheel Discoloration 2008 ST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel Discoloration 2008 ST

oldngray

Reaction score
City, State
Thomasville GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Sport Trac Limited
My 08 Limited has the tan and off-white interior .... the steering wheel has a yellowish discoloration pretty much all the way around it. I've tried several things to remove it, all failed .... I used 409, windex, leather cleaner, denatured alcohol, upholstery cleaner, and Armorall cleaner. All soft cloths, since I didn't want to rough up the finish.

Anybody got any idea what this crap is, or how to remove it?

Thanks,

Mike Greener
Thomasville, GA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same junk

I just bought a used 08 sport trac and have the same issue, just noticed it today, if i find anything i'll let you know. Any advice on in-dash navigation.

It is oil transferred from the skin of the hands of the driver. The leather dried out, and sucked the oil from the skin in to replenish itself...

The only thing that will probably work is a professional grade deep cleaner like Leatherique (try a detailer near you for a recommendation or the Meguiars Forum perhaps) and regular cleaning and conditioning from now on. One reason I don't like light colored steering wheels. :(

Check out this thread, it's pretty good...

CLICK ME

I just bought a used 08 sport trac and have the same issue, just noticed it today, if i find anything i'll let you know. Any advice on in-dash navigation.
I don't have the nav system ... Sorry. On the gunk on the wheel, I found that rubbing with a soft cloth and "Goof-Off" will take it off .... BUT, it roughs up the wheel finish. If you try that, I recommend doing a little spot on the bottom, and see what you think.
I wound up using a leather wheel cover from Wheelskins on mine. They had a color that is nearly a perfect match, and the fit is dead-on. Installation could not be easier .... my wife did it .... she's a guru with needle and thread, and for sure I would have screwed it up ... no patience at all. I think I paid about $ 60 for the cover, including shipping. Another way to go would be with Craft Customs ..... http://www.craftcustoms.com/ .... if you can get the wheel off, they will recover it for about $ 250.00. Thanks, Mike

I have the light Stone interior in mine and had that same discoloration in it. My wife got it off with some Orange based cleaner. We caught it right away though so it did'nt get much of a chance to soak in.

Make sure you condition the leather on the wheel- it sucks in oil when it's dry. Ideally, weekly is good. Get some Meguiars leather wipes, Gold Class cream, etc... or something, just cleaning it will dry out the leather more... Take care of it well and it stays pretty clean... Same goes for seats too.

Back