steering wheel interchangeability? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

steering wheel interchangeability?

1998Explodasport

Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have a 1998 Sport SOHC and like alot of Explorer steering wheels the leather wrapping is messed up. I just removed the steering from a 95 SHO and it looks very similar and it looks like it might fit. Has anyone ever swapped steering wheels from another Ford?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need to test fit it, the splines are the odd item I believe. I've been told the trucks have a larger spline, but I want to see it. I'll be testing a spare Explorer SW on my 91 Lincoln soon.

Let us know how that fits. If it will bolt on, then the clock spring is next to deal with. Be gentle with those, they are very fragile.

They are not the same. The car steering wheels have different splines than the truck steering wheels. The car wheel splines are smooth with two flat spots, and the truck wheels are splined like a reverse torx bit with pointers.

Bummer, I was wanting to swap the other way, there's usually plenty of nice Explorer wheels here but no SHO wheels. Want to send it this way? ;)

They are not the same. The car steering wheels have different splines than the truck steering wheels. The car wheel splines are smooth with two flat spots, and the truck wheels are splined like a reverse torx bit with pointers.

I just checked a little while ago and it won't work. Sucks it was a sweet looking black leather steering wheel. I am on the hunt now to find one that will work.

Bummer, I was wanting to swap the other way, there's usually plenty of nice Explorer wheels here but no SHO wheels. Want to send it this way? ;)

That's weird around here all the Explorer wheels are trashed. Someone already asked me for it but if it falls through i will let you know.

Back