Steering wheel, leather peeling | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel, leather peeling

Seems like an awful lot of cost and effort just for the steering wheel cover guys. I bought a $50 fitted leather cover on the internet and it looks decent. Yes the stitching is large and noticeable, but nothing like those old cheesy covers from 20 years ago. The pluses are it fits perfect, is real soft leather, and increases the diameter of the steering wheel (assuming you don't remove the original cover first, which I wouldn't). Here's a pic:

ry%3D480.jpg

Thats exactly what I need. Do you mind me asking where you got it from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats exactly what I need. Do you mind me asking where you got it from?

Not at all. www.wheelskins.com It was around $50. I'd recommend that you carefully measure the circumference of your wheel and enter that into the site when ordering. They'll make yours to that exact measurement. Good luck!

If you look carefully where you grip the stearing wheel, you will notice that your wedding ring usually causes the peeling. Mine did this as well. If you replace the wheel, either remove your ring or buy a cover for it. IMO unless you have it for show, a lased cover would be the cheapist move. Eventually, before you sell you EX, you then might want to replace the wheel.

Not married, no wedding ring, no peeling! ;)

If you look carefully where you grip the stearing wheel, you will notice that your wedding ring usually causes the peeling. Mine did this as well. If you replace the wheel, either remove your ring or buy a cover for it. IMO unless you have it for show, a lased cover would be the cheapist move. Eventually, before you sell you EX, you then might want to replace the wheel.

Ha ha, well I don't know about you but I don't grip the wheel hard enough for my ring to come in contact with the wheel much at all. Usually it's just my finger tips on the wheel, and maybe my right (non-ring) palm in a turn.

And personally I wouldn't consider a cheap looking $25 laced cover when you can get a proper leather cover for $50.

Not at all. www.wheelskins.com It was around $50. I'd recommend that you carefully measure the circumference of your wheel and enter that into the site when ordering. They'll make yours to that exact measurement. Good luck!

Sorry Kam one more question. My interior colour is the same as yours. Was that the sand colour cover you ordered?

Sorry Kam one more question. My interior colour is the same as yours. Was that the sand colour cover you ordered?

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was sand (it was a year and a half ago!)

@kam327,

well, it depends to what kind of level you like to maintain or repair your vehicles. When I saw your pic, my first thought was 'did you lay down that hog by yourself before you skinned it?'

Funny the wedding ring idea, but not feasible, or maybe feasible if you wear a 'thumb-ring'.

See where I come from

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/lnkf/67dash1.jpg

@kam327,

well, it depends to what kind of level you like to maintain or repair your vehicles. When I saw your pic, my first thought was 'did you lay down that hog by yourself before you skinned it?'

Funny the wedding ring idea, but not feasible, or maybe feasible if you wear a 'thumb-ring'.

See where I come from

67dash1.jpg

That's fair, but depends on the model too. I'd bet you one million dollars that for 99.9% of folks looking to buy a used Explorer, the steering wheel cover is the last thing they look at, if at all, and in no way factors into their decision whether to buy the car or not. I'm saying that spending all that money and effort to replace steering wheels - you're never going to get that value back out of it at selling time.

Nice ride.

Negatory @kam327,

the first things I look for when inspecting a used vehicle is:

-steering wheel condition

-driver seat condition

-pedal pad conditin

-wheel edge condition

A steering wheel cover is a 'no go' anyway.

Negatory @kam327,

the first things I look for when inspecting a used vehicle is:

-steering wheel condition

-driver seat condition

-pedal pad conditin

-wheel edge condition

A steering wheel cover is a 'no go' anyway.

Congrats on being that 0.1%.

My 2 cents to a dead post

Color Bond Camel Interior paint covered my steering wheel well and dryed in seconds. The color looks off in the photo because of the lighting, but it matches. The horn button was not sprayed or covered up, only the wheel was sprayed.

NSQxPN.jpg

vKdGT7.jpg

9ppe0H.jpg

4qw0vJ.jpg

DzEgyk.jpg

Color Bond Camel Interior paint covered my steering wheel well and dryed in seconds. The color looks off in the photo because of the lighting, but it matches. The horn button was not sprayed or covered up, only the wheel was sprayed.

NSQxPN.jpg

vKdGT7.jpg

9ppe0H.jpg

4qw0vJ.jpg

DzEgyk.jpg

Just curious how well this has held up for you. I'm either going the leather wrap cover route, or this if it holds up.

Just curious how well this has held up for you. I'm either going the leather wrap cover route, or this if it holds up.

Go this route, and apply a few coats. Looks so much better than a cover. It has held up very well.

Back