• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Wanted Steering Wheel Mind Of It's Own

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Posted here for views.

Power rack and pinion with no electric assist.

What would cause the steering wheel to rotate back and forth at idle? Car does not need to be moving for this to occur.
2003 Grand Marquis.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport
if its like our racks, there is a pressure switch or valve in the rack on the presser line that might cause that if i am not wrong

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
My vote is for a valve issue as well. I have seen it happen on regular power steering boxes, but I'm not very familiar with R&P.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Thanks guys!

Is this located in the rack itself? Looking on line, without being under the vehicle yet to see for myself, show this may have electric assist also?

Almost like electric and hydraulic combined. here is an electric "pressure switch" listed. MOV? LIMO option?
Car was at a shop but the problem is intermittent. I have seen the problem myself but of course it was not presented while getting tires put on. They suggested a new EGR valve as a fix for a possible engine stumble--misfire. lol

vroomzoomboom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
it is in the rack. its about the diameter of a dime. its in the port if you want to call it that where the pressure hose threads into. you can only get to it when you take the pressure hose off. or thats the way it is on a 2nd gen explorer

vroomzoomboom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
94078408_988363968224669_5781497885652680704_n.jpg

thats what they look like on 2nd gens. not sure what they would look like on what your working on. i also cant tell you how to get them out. tried with a small screw driver and it didnt want to come out. mind you this was a BFN rack......was......ignore the saws all marks. long story....

KurtECV

Surrender The Booty
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
The VAPS steering module varies the amount of power assist to the driver. As vehicle speed increases, the amount of power assist decreases. It also does show two different systems whether it has air suspension or not. It does sound like a hydraulic system problem. Possible clog in the system somewhere.

When it is malfunctioning, is there an audible strain on the pump? We all know how noisy ford pumps are :laugh:

vroomzoomboom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
or going on rockauto there is a

power steering control valve

404-a__ra_p.jpg

or a power steering pressure sensor

PSS44T_Front__ra_p.jpg

those are for a grand marquis

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Welp,
Sons car, finally got it over here and changed the power steering pump , going with his friends advice and ignoring my friends advice. Now, we will heed my friends advice because while the steering is quiet now, the problem still shows near lock . Time for a rack.