Steering wheel not square with dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel not square with dash

phoenix85020

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Awd
Bought an explorer. I noticed the steering wheel felt a little off. On the left I measure around 8 inches to dash. On the right I measure 8.5. Is this a thing? The left side of the truck is sitting an inch lower than the right which I’ve read is a thing. I can’t see any evidence that it was ever in an accident but I am concerned to say the least.

I read your post and had never heard such a thing discussed. Out of curiosity, I had to check mine. Sure enough, the left side IS closer to the dash than the right. So, there you go...confirmation from another owner that proves it is normal. Relax and enjoy your "new" ride!

This is more common than you think and it's not just an Explorer thing. Most people never notice it. We had a '91 Chrysler mini-van we bought new, never in an accident. We never noticed the angle of the steering column/wheel until one day I had it parked it below a 2nd story deck and I was looking straight down at it through the windshield. I couldn't believe the how much the wheel was angled to the dash. They often do this to clear the engine/exhaust.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I talked to my brother who has a sportrac and he too has this issue. I was freaking out that I had bought a bad truck. Thanks guys!

Back