Steering Wheel Options

Trckmagik

Ole Bag
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Celina, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
My steering wheel in my 96 explorer is trashed. Do any of you know if a steering wheel from another ford vehicle will work? Just trying to expand my junk yard options.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is trashed? Look under the interiors section for "redline goods" they are making a cover for the mustang which should fit our explorers.

I dont want a cover. I need a full replacement option. Thanks

Is something broken? And anyways, the junk yard should have lots of explorers to yank a steering wheel from. Rangers should also work, and the mustang.

Be careful- you have a splined steering shaft. The car wheels will not cross to the trucks that I've run across, they have a smooth steering shaft with 2 flat spots. Your options are Explorer and Ranger AFAIK and have seen. If you find one you like, look at the hole in the wheel, and make sure it has teeth or it will not fit.

Best options are the later 2nd gen or Ranger, with the "fatter" leather wheel. I have a 2001 Ranger airbag on my 2001 Mountaineer wheel, in my 2000 Explorer. :)

2012-08-22_13-56-54_432.jpg

Be careful- you have a splined steering shaft. The car wheels will not cross to the trucks that I've run across, they have a smooth steering shaft with 2 flat spots. Your options are Explorer and Ranger AFAIK and have seen. If you find one you like, look at the hole in the wheel, and make sure it has teeth or it will not fit.

Best options are the later 2nd gen or Ranger, with the "fatter" leather wheel. I have a 2001 Ranger airbag on my 2001 Mountaineer wheel, in my 2000 Explorer. :)

Wish the multifunction EB/LTD steering wheel was nice and fat like that one. I hate how skinny it feels in my hand compared to the Expedition and Aviator wheels.

Thanks for the edited sig line... lulz!

Thanks for the edited sig line... lulz!

I realized as I was typing, there was no way to convey what I meant without someone twisting my words around.

Now we're even, since your Bosch rant has found a home in my sig for some time now lol.

I was just looking at those airbags the other day wondering if those airbags would fit. I thought they should. They look much better with the big blue emblem.

They fit... :)

I grabbed the 2001 because the airbag plugs are the same. Wasn't sure about the later ones. You could rewire, but this was easier, and looked good...

I have a 91 steering that is ozzing black out of it will the second gens or later work? and still have working cruise control?

Beware of the clockspring

Will a 92-95 Ford Bronco/F150 wheel fit?

i know this thread is about not wanting a cover, but i found a cover that matches my tan interior pretty well and i really like it. it's padded (AutoZone PN for black 10214 $14.99, description says leather) it fits really well and will fit over your old leather cover, or if your old cover is gooy you can cut it off and just put the cover over the bare wheel. i originally bought one for my gooy XLT (bare wheel) and later got one for my EB. WalMart sells them too (and for less $). I find this cover to be so comfortable i'd rather have it than a brand new stock leather wheel. just a thought...

Back