Steering Wheel Shake?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
When I go over larger bumps my steering wheel shakes violently left to right.

I recently replaced the intermediate steering shaft and steering gear. Upper and lower ball joints where checked by a mechanic and deemed tight. New Inner and outer tied rods where installed with the new steering gear.

I also have a very slight left to right shaking movement of the steering wheel at highway speeds. All 4 tires are brand new and recently balanced. So I seriously doubt one of the wheels is unbalanced.

There is no steering wheel play whatsoever but the steering does have an overall loose feeling to it.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I go over larger bumps my steering wheel shakes violently left to right.

I recently replaced the intermediate steering shaft and steering gear. Upper and lower ball joints where checked by a mechanic and deemed tight. New Inner and outer tied rods where installed with the new steering gear.

I also have a very slight left to right shaking movement of the steering wheel at highway speeds. All 4 tires are brand new and recently balanced. So I seriously doubt one of the wheels is unbalanced.

There is no steering wheel play whatsoever but the steering does have an overall loose feeling to it.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

How old are your shocks? Could one be bad?
Did this happen before or after the tires were changed? Tires could have a bad belt that could cause issues.

air in the pwr steering system...if you cant bleed them by turning the steering wheel maybe loosen a powersteering hose until fluid comes out.

also check your fluid

air in the pwr steering system...if you cant bleed them by turning the steering wheel maybe loosen a powersteering hose until fluid comes out.

also check your fluid
Agree. This will probably go away in a day or two due to normal driving. Try lots of turning to work all the air bubbles out. If in a week it's not gone, you have another problem, but I'm bettin' it will go away. Had the same thing happen to me about a month ago when I changed my power steering pump.

This part sounds like you need an alignment job.

Back