Steering wheel shimmy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel shimmy

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base
Hello

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 Limited w/ about 133k on it.
My parents sold it to me recently, and has been in their possession since new.
I noticed that at about 70-75mph on the freeway a vibration/steering wheel shimmy that is very noticeable. Its like i am braking with a wrapped rotor.

I have Bridgestone Alenza that have plenty of life left in them - they are 10/32 or so left and have been recently balanced. Ford dealership said they look OK from the outside. I rotated them recently as well with no change......

Put new lower balljoints on, and aligned. No difference. Original struts/springs, upper ball joints. Tie rods and sway bars were replaced a while back.

There isn't much vibration or shimmying at lower speeds, its fine.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would take it to a different shop and have someone balance all four tires, if the tire guy that put on the tires use wrong tire weights, they can fall off over time. Have them inspect the tire wear and a close look on the outside surface for manufacture defect. I use to work for sears and I've come across these shimmy complaints all the time. Shimmy @70-75mph could be cause by couple things. Ball joints, tie rod ends, tires, and the steering column

There was no difference before or after the wheel balance/rotation. They wanted me to spend 100 on a roadforce balance........

Then had my Ford dealership look at them, said everything looked fine with the tires. I've had plenty of tires with inside/outside wear and didn't have vibration.

I put new lower ball joints on 700 miles ago (Moog). Front upper ball joints and tie rod ends look OK from my inspection, but that doesn't mean they are......

Did you figure out the problem?

Well I took it to get the alternator looked at and had them rebalance the wheels. 80% better. Wow

There is still a little vibration, but its not really a problem.

Back