Steering wheel swap

John Summers

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT Limited
Hello everyone,
I am now the proud owner of a '93 XLT Limited with 80,000 miles! The truck is in pretty good shape overall...new tires, wheels, shocks, bushings and exhaust, thanks to the previous owner. I've had to fix the gas gauge and the AC could blow a bit colder. There are some minor cosmetic issues I'd like to address. The steering wheel looks ugly and worn and since there is no airbag, I was thinking that it would be a fairly straightforward swap. Do I have to sttick with the same year/generation steering wheel or will others also fit? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how did you fix the gas guage. mine isn't working either and it really annoys me! how much did you have to pay?

You can go to LMCtrucks.com it will sell you the adapter and/or the steering wheel for a 91-94 explorer its a direct fit they also have a bunch of other direct fit stuff but the after market steering wheels are freaking awesome just go and order there free catalog for a 91-94 explorer.

You can also git stock ones.

With aftermarket wheels you will loose the cruise buttons.

To fix the gas gauge, I bought the kit including the fuel pump, screen, etc. It cost about $100 at Auto Zone. Then, I paid a guy to drop the tank and install the stuff. It's a good thing too, the pump was making noise.
Thanks for the steering wheel info, guys.

was it the float on the sending unit?

After removing the old stuff, we suspected that it might have been the sending unit. The needle would move a bit when the ignition was off, but who knows. The thing is, once you've dropped the tank, it's silly not to replace everything. I think the fuel pump was $89 and the same kit containing everything else was $99 plus tax....prices may vary, of course. I can tell you that the unit and fuel pump looked like it was a hundred years old and the float on the new aftermarket kit looked far more substantial than the old factory unit. After seeing what we pulled out, it's amazing that the truck ran at all.

I'm using a steering wheel out of a '91 van (e-250)in our '92 explorer, so no you don't need the exact year/model steering wheel, but I can't tell you which ones are interchangable.

~Mark

Have a pic? Curious what it looks like.

Thanks

Its the same style. It looks exactly like the explorer one, which is why I gave it a shot. I now have the steering wheel and sterring box from that 91 van on the X, but both parts looked exactly like the explorer parts.

~Mark

Back