Steering wheel turns to right and back to left when accelerating feom stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel turns to right and back to left when accelerating feom stop

joljol

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Is that normal for Explorer 2014??
Steering rack replaced,both front axles replaced.
*All work was done by the dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum joljol. :wave:
When you say "back to the left" is that putting it back in the straight ahead position? Is acceleration hard or just normal and does it happen all the time? Since the Ex is FWD biased, some members have mentioned they get some torque steer. It almost sounds like one wheel (Left?) is getting more traction to start with causing the steering wheel to turn to the right. Not sure why it would then turn back. Perhaps it could be an issue with the EPAS (Electric Power-Assisted Steering) system. :dunno:

Peter

Hi peter,,, turn back to left means back to straight position.
As hard accelerating as more the steering turns to right!!
Dealer replaced steering rack, front both axles, all alignment done successfully.
The dealer report says it is due to torque distribution...
But i feel it should not be like this ):

Welcome to the Forum joljol. :wave:
When you say "back to the left" is that putting it back in the straight ahead position? Is acceleration hard or just normal and does it happen all the time? Since the Ex is FWD biased, some members have mentioned they get some torque steer. It almost sounds like one wheel (Left?) is getting more traction to start with causing the steering wheel to turn to the right. Not sure why it would then turn back. Perhaps it could be an issue with the EPAS (Electric Power-Assisted Steering) system. :dunno:

Peter

There has been complaints about torque steer which is basically what you describe.. during hard acceleration, the front end can get a little squirrely which is typical of FWD vehicles. Basically with the power going to the front wheels and the weight shifting to the rear quickly, it takes the weight off the front end and can cause the wheels to turn until the weight returns.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong, you are just noticing what others have seen before.

under light acceleration it should steer itself straight even if the wheel was turned when accelerating, under hard acceleration it will wander off if you don't hold the wheel.

So you mean it is normal?
It's normal. Ford has done some software work to basically eliminate torque steer. When torque steer is detected, I know the Explorer reacts to it to mitigate it. In this case, they might be using the EPAS system to do so. I'll try to find the reference or thread to this that explains this more in-depth but yes, it is normal under hard acceleration.

As stated by everyone...torque steer which is prevalent on all fwd vehicle, when stomping on the gas pedal.

Yes, torque steer, but this is much different than I've ever experienced. My previous FWD(or front wheel biased AWD vehicles) have always torqued the wheel one direction when you romp on it. You can counter act that by holding the wheel or correctly slightly if needed.

When I first romped on the Sport, the wheel would go back and forth when trying to correct for torque steer essentially causing me to swerve back and forth slightly. I believe the stability control and/or traction control were intervening causing that issue.

Same issue here

you're stepping on the gas too hard or it turns by itself while touching the gas peddle very lightly?

you're stepping on the gas too hard or it turns by itself while touching the gas peddle very lightly?
If i touch the gas pedal normally it turns ,more affect if hardly pressed.

I would have an alignment shop check the front end for worn parts before they check the alignment, make sure you tell them what its doing. It can cause it to dart around under light acceleration, there are other reasons but that's the main one. IF it never did this before you do have a problem with the vehicle for sure and will probably get worse.

If i touch the gas pedal normally it turns ,more affect if hardly pressed.
I've not experienced torque steer on my previous 2011 Explorer not on my current MKT. Just thought I'd try gunning it from a dead stop to see what happened regarding steering. Nothing. Stayed straight and true.

Peter

Hi... is your car has an electronic steering motor?
I've not experienced torque steer on my previous 2011 Explorer not on my current MKT. Just thought I'd try gunning it from a dead stop to see what happened regarding steering. Nothing. Stayed straight and true.

Peter

Mine steers straight only if you barely touch the gas, with normal acceleration it turns about 5 degrees to the right then centers, but if I turn the wheel slightly to the right it holds it that way and then centers. I tried some other non Explorer AWD/FWD vehicles and they didn't do this, now it bothers me :( . BTW mine has new lower arms etc and the suspension has been checked so nothing seems to be worn. I hold the wheel when I accelerate so I never noticed it before, could just be bad design if everyone elses turns also with about 1/4 throttle from a stop, I'll try some other vehicles with the same weight if I get the chance. I know older front drive vehicles had torque steer problems but they were fixed in later models with different size shafts, stub shafts and support bearings etc.

Back