sean99

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sunnyvale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Limited 5.0
Stealth turn signal mod

I wanted to add some side turn signals to aid in driving on the crazy California freeways...I found that the Explorer license plate lights fit perfectly between the fender and bumper and can hardly be seen when not on. They can easily be seen by the drivers that like to hang out in your blind spot. I tied into the turn signals from behind the headlight and attached the light housing using quality double side tape.

Attachments

• turn signals 1.jpg
    turn signals 1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 629
  • turn signals 2.jpg
    turn signals 2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 615
  • turn signals 3.jpg
    turn signals 3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 616
  • turn signals 4.jpg
    turn signals 4.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 618

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats a nice mod.

Here is one a friend of mine did on his Dodge truck. Its a really neat idea. Any more pics of how you mounted your etc?

Concept Signal by tenesmusphyre, on Flickr

~Mark

Its a perfect snug fit between the fender and bumper. Use a quality double sided tape, like emblem tape and you are done.

That's rad! I could of used that today. This BMW crossed three lanes to try and hop on the 101 and he almost got squashed. Long live the truck!

That's rad! I could of used that today. This BMW crossed three lanes to try and hop on the 101 and he almost got squashed. Long live the truck!

Same here, going to work on 101 this morning, some lady wanted the same lane i was changing into, she didn't see me and came right over. I had to swerve back into my lane to aviod an accident!! %$^&!!
So, i put these on when i got home from work. :)

I like the muth signal mirrors, but they aren't cheap, and they are a lot more work to install.
I have heated mirrors on the Limited and didn't want to lose that option as well.

AHA! Now I know why... :D

I thought about this but I wanted to run a thin LED strip under the mirrors;)

I thought about maybe trying to rewire the puddle lights to function as the normal puddle lights as well as turn signals...

I thought about this but I wanted to run a thin LED strip under the mirrors;)

I added some leds to my 99 mirrors a couple of years ago...i didn't have much fun running the wires through the door :( Watch the placement of the leds on the mirror. You don't want to be blinded by the flashing lights while trying to change lanes.

Any more pics of how you mounted your etc?

~Mark

Heres a better pic that shows how the light fits between the bumper and fender. 3m tape on the sides.

Attachments

• stelth day.jpg
    stelth day.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 561

Simple and brilliant.

awesome idea sean keep up the good work

I thought about maybe trying to rewire the puddle lights to function as the normal puddle lights as well as turn signals...

The puddle light as a turn signal might work ok at night, but won't put off enough light during the day to be seen.

Pictures of the leds in those 99 mirrors would be cool.

Pictures of the leds in those 99 mirrors would be cool.

I'm in the process of selling the 99, and never took any pictures.
I took the leds off and gave my heated mirrors to blueka...

Back