Step Bar Removal

Runnin'OnEmpty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Southeast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Hi guys. I removed my step bars yesterday. It was hard to decide whether to or not, but the wife said they got her pants dirty and were in the way. After removing them, it does seem to be easier to get in and out of the X, and it has a cleaner look to it.

The bars seem to be at a height that is inconvenient for adults, but they would help kids who were getting in the back seat.

Any opinions on removing them or leaving them on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you decide to sell them let me know.

I took them off of my 98 Sport and kinda liked the look. The only problem is that they make the truck look higher off the ground, something that I wasn't going for.

I don't know, but I like the nurf style bars on mine. Makes it look a little more sporty.

I'll keep mine

I think they are great protection for the sides of the X and the only thing I've dinged so far off-road. :)

When I bought my X, it didn't have any. Two months after that I put on step bars, looks great and I thought getting in and out of vehicle without them would eventually wear out the high point of seat when you slide in!

I wanted to take mine off once, but the GF didn't want me to and I have enough stuff cluttering the garage and attic already ;)

I will second that they do protect the sides of the truck, mostly in parking lots as the many paint marks attest to.

Also, they help when putting the bikes on top of the roof, although I scratched both sides with my SPS cleats last time so I will need to paint them again eventually.

I also think they are at an inconvenient height, I'm always stepping over them instead of on them.

Back