Step bars/hoops- bolt to body or frame?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Step bars/hoops- bolt to body or frame??

bigDerk

Reaction score
City, State
Stockbridge, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger Edge
Being that I plan on a 3" body lift and bigger tires within the next couple months, I'm gonna need some step bars. Well, I won't need them, but my 5'1" girlfriend will. ;) I want them to mount to the body, not the frame, since they will look too low if they mount to the frame. Anyone have some step bars that mount to the body?

Here are the ones I'm looking at, $295 for chrome:
Pro Step Side Bars
Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never seen bars that bolt to the body. Wouldn't they bend the body panels if you put weight on them? Maybe someone can give us some more info.

Most of the running boards that are made for trucks bolt to the body. Most step bars bolt to the frame. If you do go with body mount, be prepared for a lot of flex. They just don't mount as solidly

Originally posted by bigDerk
Being that I plan on a 3" body lift and bigger tires within the next couple months, I'm gonna need some step bars. Well, I won't need them, but my 5'1" girlfriend will. ;)
I've got the same problem. I already have some frame mounted step bars though. Just rig a way raise where they mount up 3". That's what I'm gonna do. Then they'll have a stronger mount also.

There are also power retractable steps that retract when the door is shut. Check this link out. It's from 4wheelpartsonline.com Dead Link Removed

Hey Jeff, can that company of yours or whatever make me some new mounting brackets if I send you blueprints?

My factory step bars, that say explorer on them. They mount to the body, are VERY strong, & do not flex at all.

Originally posted by RTStork
I've never seen bars that bolt to the body. Wouldn't they bend the body panels if you put weight on them? Maybe someone can give us some more info.
We installed some Westin step bars on my dad's 2001 Supercrew recently, they bolted to the body. They're really strong, too. Does anyone know if the hoop style steps bolt to the body or frame? They're not all that big, so maybe they bolt to the body...

Originally posted by Jason94sport
My factory step bars, that say explorer on them. They mount to the body, are VERY strong, & do not flex at all.
Do you know if Ford made factory step bars for the 4 door model? Are they black? I've never seen any Ford step bars that are chrome or stainless, that's what I want...

Just my .02 worth.

If you're planning on taking the vehicle off roading, I would seriously consider buying bars that mount to the frame. If you happen to hang up on a rock, and they are body mounted, there's a good chance you will crumple some sheet metal. If they are frame mounted, you have a better shot at keeping the body intact. Take a look at Dead Link Removed He got away with no rocker damage. I would hate to think what would have happened to the rockers if they had been body mounted.

. I'm even thinking of reinforcing my existing (Smittybilt) bars so I don't bend them offroading.

Hmm... good points JDraper.

Does anyone with some step bars have a digital camera? I'd like to see the mounting points on these, I'm wondering how hard it would be to make new mounts that would move the bars 2 or 3" higher.

Don't have an installation shot, but on my '92 Sport, they used the bolt that holds the front of the rear spring to the frame as one mount point, and you had to drill your own holes in the frame at the front of the truck. On my '01 XLS, it just bolted into existing holes in the frame. Shouldn't be too hard to make a flat steel bracket that just moves the mount point up. It might actually make the installation easier because I had to thread the ebrake cable through the step bracket on the '01. THAT was a PITA!!

Back