step by step 4r55e 2wd to 4wd conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

step by step 4r55e 2wd to 4wd conversion

Lesterclan

Reaction score
City, State
Olympic Foothills, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt 4x4
Been looking around for the info I need and haven't had any luck. I need to hopefully get this solved soon. My exact scenario is I have a 1996 4wd that a previous owner swapped over to a 5r55e. The torque converter went out and now the transmission is full of metal. I sourced a complete 95 truck for 300 bucks that was slammed onto its side. The down side? It's 2wd. I can't get a good used transmission anywhere close for that price. Plus, my trucks head gasket blew 2 years ago and I did a quick fix on it... only a matter of time until it really goes. This would give me the engine that I need.

If anyone can fill me in on what exactly I need to do for getting this transmission converted over to 4wd, I will be eternally grateful!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The output shaft and the extension housing have to be swapped. This requires complete tear down of both transmissions.

You need to follow the rebuild diary that is on this site. You'll be completely disassembling the transmission to swap the output shaft from your existing transmission and also the tail housing. Good luck. I'd find another transmission.

I have only been able to find one other transmission anywhere close for less than 550.00 and even it is in a vehicle with over 200,000 miles. The cheapest rebuilt I can find is 900.00 and was just a soft parts rebuild also it doesn't have a torque converter.

I know that there is a good chance the 200k rig has been rebuilt, but just have areally hard time spending so much money on something I can't drive for a minute, and the seller knows nothing about(it's at a junkyard). To compound my issues, if that transmission fails to work I can only return it for yard credit.

Any tips on what to look for other than burnt fluid/metal in fluid, excessive play in the shafts, noisy torque converter?

Just looked on car-part.com and there are quite a few in WA. I have no sense of distance compared to where you live so it might be a drive. There's no real benefit for you to get the 5R since you're ECU is only programmed for 4 forward gears.

Sorry, no disrespect intended but if you can't switch the parts from one trans to the other then I don't think you will be able to repair yours. It sounds like it is totally blown. When a torque converter goes it totally messes of the trans. and clogs the rad oil cooler and the trans cooler and the oil lines.

Ha. I've never checked car-part.com. I will now. LOL.

Poprichie: I'm more than capable, just unfamiliar with these transmissions. I've already written off any easy fix to the 5r that is in there. LOL. No offense taken, either.

I forgot that the explorer is a 96, the wiring and computer may have been changed for the 5R55E and if not the 5R55E requires valve body parts from a 96 trans to work properly, this is what has been posted in this forum. You need to check the wiring and computer as to what year it is, before making any decision on what to do.

I've seen it before, but now can't find it. Where is the thread at, that shows pcm years?

Back