Step on brake then shift sensor / button/ ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Step on brake then shift sensor / button/ ?

walterd140

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
If you don't have one of those friends that always comes up with a truer-than-life story, call me & I'll be him for you.

So I get out of 3rd shift work & let the dog out. At 6AM, dog runs away & wants me to chase him. I jump in the explorer & fire her up (I'm too tired to run after a dog at this point), shift in reverse to get out of the driveway, then into drive to rescue nutball from himself. Well, the shifter starts flopping around like crazy & I am still in reverse! I shut down & find the tranny link still works, just the column shift doesnt. So I start the truck, put on the e-brake (mind you I'm tired from working all night), & get under to shift the tranny link into drive (e-brake held.... thank GOD). Back in the truck & get it back in the driveway.
Now I start to think. Link at tranny works, must be inside the column. So I start ripping it apart to find that I cannot get into where the shifter is with the tools on hand. I put it all back together (even the cruise control / horn pad) & gain a few screws in the process that I know go somewhere, so they sit in the ashtray for now until I find them a home).
After thinking instead of reacting, I found the cable from the cab / column to the trans in the engine compartment broke. That is why I cannot shift. After 4 zip ties it's able to shift, so I'm good until I boneyard search it this morning (Ford dealer told me $80 special order 3 - 5 days...... like I'm gonna do the stupid crawl under a running truck on e-brake thing for that long!).
Forgot the dog. Dumb fleabag got stuck in the neighbors yard because of the fence. Yup, Micky could not find the 20 foot driveway opening he entered to reach the back yard. Lets trace his steps.... run away, left, left into driveway, left around house, left again, now I'm stuck! Am I a good boy?
Anyway, now when I shift from park to drive I notice I can do it without stepping on the brake. Did I miss something in the steering wheel re-assembly? Don't recall being able to do this before. Will I fail inspection for this?

Someday I'll tell you the story about me & my buddy going to the hockey game & getting hit in the head whith a puck while we were 8 rows from the ice.

Not sure if you put something back together wrong. My wife's car (KIA Rio) is like that. You have to have your foot on the brake before the shifter will move. Maybe you fixed a safety feature you didn't know you had ???

other way, he doesnt need the brake to shift now.

Right, it's the dangerous way now. Can shift with no brake stepping.

Hey, my story gets better. Went to the yard & got one. Just popped off. Got home & I think it's the wrong one. Off the next morning (Saturday) & check 3 others in various boneyards. Finally figure out the one I originally got IS the correct cable. So I've been crwaling around in mud all morning just to come home & find the original one is good. Took a shower, but it was fast. Daughter decided to steam her whatever & sucked up all the hot water. (should I go on?)

Back