Stereo Grounding out | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Stereo Grounding out

Erek_97Sport

Reaction score
City, State
traverse city, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
when ever i take a right turn going over like 10mph my radio grounds out or when just my right tire drops like when going over a bump or hitting a pot hole. im defiantly not an electrical guy so i have no idea where to look. the turning made me think steering wheel but then with the bump i was thinking its by the shock or something. this gets really annoying so id like to get this fixed as soon as possible

so my questions are:

1. has anyone had this problem

2. where should i start my looking

any info is appreciated. thanks

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
Define grounding out, what exact symptoms are you seeing? Does only reception drop, or does the radio lose power? I would wonder if the antenna connector is loose or the cable is damaged. You may need to take the wheel well cover off for access.

Erek_97Sport

Reaction score
City, State
traverse city, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
I rewrote this in the audio and navigation section and someine said to check antenna if it goes staticy and to check the wires in the back of the radio if the radio completely shuts down so ima try both