Stereo install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stereo install

Kyletwhite

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer xlt
I am trying to put a new stereo in my 97 explorer but it's turning into kind of a pain. No wire harness adapters fit into the factory harness. I spoke to an audio technician at best buy and he said the metra 70-5600 is the right one, but it doesn't fit. The flat gray one fits and it illuminates and everything, but the squarish green one for the speakers doesn't fit. It looks like the right shape but it's too big and they don't fit together. I am thinking about just skipping the aftermarket harness and just connecting the stereo wires straight to the factory wires. I know this can be a pain when switching stereos but I'm not sure what else I can do. Any better ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

factory JBL system or no?

I don't think it's jbl. I don't remember seeing a logo anywhere or an amp. Would it be pretty apparent if it was?

If you have a JBL factory system you need a special one. Usually Stores do not carry that specific one either. I wish I had my package still with the code. possible take pictures, but whatever you do don't start cutting wires, you will be making more work for yourself. If you did have the JBL unit, you would have a grill on the passenger side cargo bay, with a JBL logo on it. That is were the sub woofer is at. There are many different kits for Explorers.

Yes i believe it said it on the radio. If you dont have JBL, when you hook up the correct plug, only one of the plugs that was originally hooked up to the back of the radio will be used. The other went to the control for the rear radio in the back of the center console. The correct kit is a single plug with a 2x8 pin configuration. Here is a metra model

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000KL0LZS

I looked up jbl adapters and none of them look like they will fit. The one from the link looks like it might work but it says it's only for 88-01 explorers. Could it work for a 97?

Take a picture of the front of the radio you're taking out, as well as the two plugs you have as well if you can

Ok thank you so much!! I read on another post that its a lot more work to set up a jbl. Know of any website with a step by step process??

Hey fellas,

I'm having an issue simply trying to get an aftermarket Alpine deck in my 97 explorer. I think Kyle and I are sharing the same pain. lol.

I came across this

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/14xhu-need-wiring-diagram-1996-ford-explorer-radio.html

If you scroll down to the "C256", That's the right one that matches the colors/wiring for my small factory-connector. I bought 3 different harnesses between Walmart and Bestbuy, and none of them seem to fit right.

The confusion lays with the fact that I have 2 connectors from my explorer. The "C256" diagram matches perfectly with what my small 2-tier connector is. But I also have a wider connector that has 8 wires in it, mostly variations of black. Black, black/green, black/yellow.. I was assuming these were types of grounds?

I'm also kind of confused that the "C256" diagram I linked has options for a CD player, is for premium sound, and I didn't think my factory-radio was premium sound. My factory radio was just an AM/FM tape deck. Does this mean I have a sub and amp somewhere..?

I'm confused. lol.

Back